|California State Senate, District 2|
|December 1, 2014 - Present|
|December 2, 2018|
|Years in position||0|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 4, 2014|
|First elected||November 4, 2014|
|Next general||November 6, 2018|
|Term limits||12 years|
McGuire's website highlighted the following campaign themes:
Jobs and Economic Development
- Excerpt: "In the State Senate, I will ask this question first when considering legislation: “Will this law help give every Californian who is willing and able to work hard a path to the middle class?” There is no greater priority than building a thriving local economy."
Strong Public Schools
- Excerpt: "As a state senator, I will fight hard to reinvest in California’s public education system. Educating our kids and future workforce is more than just fulfilling a promise to California’s youth and families – it’s also one of the smartest investments we can make to build an economy that works for everyone."
Environmental and Coastal Protection
- Excerpt: "I fiercely oppose fracking and I will fight to protect our rivers, watersheds and coastline. I strongly support policies that address impacts of the drought on our water supply at Lake Mendocino and Lake Sonoma and I will partner with local leaders to ensure that Clearlake thrives."
Responsible State Budgets
- Excerpt: "In the State Senate, I’ll work to ensure that we move forward as a state together – sharing both the benefits of our growing economy and the sacrifices that are necessary to ensure that the promise of California is available to all of our children, families and seniors. "
Investment in Infrastructure
- Excerpt: "As a state senator, I’ll continue to fight for investments in our infrastructure, not just on Highway 101, but also on Highways 20, and 175, Highways 199 and 299, and roads and bridges throughout Northern California."
- See also: California State Senate elections, 2014
Elections for the office of California State Senate took place in 2014. A primary election took place on June 3, 2014. The general election was held on November 4, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was March 7, 2014. Mike McGuire (D) and Lawrence R. Wiesner (R) defeated Derek Knell (D) and Harry V. Lehmann (I) in the blanket primary. McGuire defeated Wiesner in the general election.
|California State Senate, District 2, General Election, 2014|
|Republican||Lawrence R. Wiesner||30%||80,778|
In 2014, McGuire's endorsements included the following:
- Congressman Jared Huffman
- Congressman Mike Thompson
- Congresswoman Lynn Woolsey (ret.)
- Tom Torlakson, State Superintendent of Public Instruction
- Darrell Steinberg, President pro Tem, California State Senate
- John Perez, Speaker, California State Assembly
- Noreen Evans, State Senator
- Mark Leno, State Senator
- Wes Chesbro, State Assemblyman
- Mariko Yamada, State Assemblywoman
- Patty Berg, Assemblywoman (ret.)
- Dan Hauser, Assemblyman (ret.)
- Virginia Strom-Martin, Assemblywoman (ret.)
- Martha McClure, Del Norte County Supervisor
- Mike Sullivan, Del Norte County Supervisor
- Jerry Cochran, Del Norte County Assessor (ret.)
- Virginia Bass, Humboldt County Supervisor
- Rex Bohn, Humboldt County Supervisor
- Estelle Fennel, Humboldt County Supervisor
- Mark Lovelace, Humboldt County Supervisor
Legislative scorecards are used to evaluate elected public officials based on voting record. Some scorecards are created by political advocacy groups with a focus on specific issues, while others are developed by newspapers and are broad in scope. Scorecards are meant to be used as a tool for voters to have a quick picture of whether their views align with a particular legislator's record.
Because scorecards can be specific to particular issues or general to a state’s legislative term, for example, each report should be considered on its own merits. Each entity that publishes these reports uses different methodologies and definitions for the terms used.
Please see our writing guidelines if you would like to add results from an individual scorecard to this legislator's profile.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Mike + McGuire + California + Senate"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- California State Legislature
- California State Senate
- California Senate Committees
- California state legislative districts
- Profile from the California State Senate
- Official campaign website
- Legislative Profile from Project Vote Smart
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- mikemcguireforsenate.com, "Six Priorities to Move California Forward," accessed May 2, 2014
- California Secretary of State, "Official 2014 Primary election candidate list," accessed March 27, 2014
- California Secretary of State, "Official primary election results," accessed July 15, 2014
- California Secretary of State, "Official general election results," accessed December 14, 2014
- mikemcguireforsenate.com, "Supporters," accessed May 2, 2014
- mikemcguireforsenate.com, "About," accessed May 27, 2014
Noreen Evans (D)
|California State Senate District 2
| Succeeded by|