|U.S. House, California, District 30|
|High school||Grant High School|
was a 2014 Green Party
candidate who sought election to the U.S. House
to represent the 30th Congressional District
Powelson received his Ph.D. in history from Columbia University and teaches at LA Valley College and Cal State Channel Islands.
Powelson's campaign website listed the following issues:
- Health Care: "Any hope for real health care reform was crushed the moment Obama and the Democrats agreed to an insurance-industry-written private health care pool rather than sticking with a government funded program of free universal health care for all–you know, the type of health care that is cheaper and far more effective at keeping people healthy."
- Education: "This is wrong. California’s best and brightest should have access to free education regardless of their economic background. Charter schools and raising tuition are the corporate “solutions” to revenue cuts caused by tax breaks for the rich and the swindles of Wall Street."
- Environment: "Despite the conservative nature of the Defense Department, they have declared that global warming is a major security threat. And of course the DOD is right. We need to roll up our sleeves and really tackle the problem of global warming."
- Foreign Policy: "The United States should cut all economic aid to Israel until it ends the legal apartheid against the Palestinian population in both the Occupied Territories and Israel proper."
- Taxes: "In the 1950s the top income earners were taxed 90 percent of their income and the US economy boomed. Corporate taxes in the 1950s constituted over half of all government revenues, and still the economy boomed. The obvious point is that raising taxes on the wealthy and corporations does not weaken the economy. To the contrary, increased taxes paid by the super wealthy and corporations puts more money into circulation which in turn creates jobs and stimulates the economy."
—Mike Powelson's campaign website, http://www.mikepowelsonforcongress2014.org/the-issues/
- See also: California's 30th Congressional District elections, 2014
Powelson ran in the 2014 election for the U.S. House to represent California's 30th District. Powelson was defeated in the blanket primary on June 3, 2014.
|U.S. House, California District 30 Primary, 2014
Brad Sherman Incumbent
|| Pablo Kleinman
|| Marc Litchman
|| Michael Powelson
|Source: California Secretary of State
Powelson has two sons.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Mike + Powelson + California + Congress"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
Mike Powelson News Feed
- ↑ Campaign website, accessed March 10, 2014
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Campaign website, "About Mike," accessed April 22, 2014
- ↑ Campaign website, "Issues," accessed April 22, 2014
- ↑ Note: This text is quoted verbatim from the original source. Any inconsistencies are attributed to the original source.
- ↑ The New York Times, "California Primary Results," June 3, 2014