Mike Zinkin recall, Oro Valley, Arizona (2014)
An effort to recall councilman Mike Zinkin in Oro Valley, Arizona from his position was launched in October 2014. It did not go to a vote.
Recall support arguments
Zinkin was accused by recall proponents of "behavior unbecoming of a public official," including sexist and racist comments. He was also alleged to have a "complete lack of understanding with regards to public safety." In December 2013, Oro Valley Mayor Satish Hiremath penned an op-ed encouraging citizens to recall Zinkin.
In response to the allegations made by recall proponents, Zinkin said, "First of all, it upsets me. You try to please all of the people all of the time, but you can't do that. My gut reaction is this is an organized effort by, hopefully, a small, vocal faction in a campaign to organize the fact that the current majority of the council maintains the majority in the next election." Zinkin said he believed Hiremath and fellow council members Lou Waters, Joe Hornat and Mary Snider organized the recall effort.
Path to the ballot
- See also: Laws governing recall in Arizona
A notice of intent to recall was first filed in October 2013 by the Oro Valley Citizens for Ethical Government. In order to trigger a recall election, proponents needed to collect 2,131 signatures by mid-February 2014. Town Clerk Julie Bower confirmed that petitions were not submitted by the February 11, 2014 deadline, meaning that a recall election would not be held.
- "Recall effort targets Oro Valley Town Council member," October 2, 2013
- ExplorerNews.com "Oro Valley Mayor calls on citizens to recall Zinkin," December 27, 2013
- ExplorerNews.com "Oro Valley Council remains divided," January 1, 2014
- ExplorerNews.com "Petitions not submitted, Zinkin won't face recall," February 13, 2014
- ExplorerNews.com "Zinkin will not face recall, citizen's group came up 38 signatures short," February 19, 2014
State of Arizona
|State executive officers||
Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | Superintendent of Public Instruction | Director of Insurance | Director of Agriculture | Commissioner of Lands | Director of Labor | Chairman of Corporation Commission | State Mine Inspector |