Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|Kansas House of Representatives District 18|
|Kansas House of Representatives District 23|
Prior to his election, Talia worked as a lawyer and an engineer. He previously ran unsuccessfully for the House in 2006.
Talia's website highlights the following campaign themes:
- Excerpt: "[W]e need to help businesses operate easier and invest in job-creation and growth."
- Excerpt: "Kansas must renew its commitment to providing economic opportunity and security for everyone."
- Excerpt: "I will work with fellow business owners to write a bill designed to help small businesses increase cash flow so we can hire and retain workers and invest in more equipment and machinery."
- Excerpt: "There are ways to find savings and increase efficiencies to keep workers employed and maintain benefits."
- Excerpt: "[W]e need to get people back to work, ensure businesses and wage growth, and support local businesses in Shawnee—and the rest of Kansas."
Talia's website lists his legislative priorities as "providing the best education for Kansas children, ensuring prosperity for workers and businesses, reducing health care costs for Kansas families."
He refused to take Project Vote Smart's 2008 Political Courage Test. The test, which is administered to all candidates for presidential, congressional, gubernatorial, and state legislative offices, asks one central question - "Are you willing to tell citizens your positions on the issues you will most likely face on their behalf?"
Talia's answers to the Kansas State Legislative Election 2004 National Political Awareness Test are available.
- H 2256 Elections; allowing early voter registration for 14-17 year olds. 02/05/2009
- H 2257 Overtime compensation as time off for private employees; family-time flexibility agreements. 02/05/2009
- H 2261 Income tax deduction for certain amounts withdrawn from retirement account to pay qualifying business expenses of taxpayer's business. 02/05/2009
- H 5014 Expanded rail service; Kansas City to Fort Worth, Texas; congratulating Kansas Department of Transportation and others; urging action. 03/17/2009
While a member of the Kansas House of Representatives, Talia served on the following committees:
- Energy and Utilities Committee, House of Representatives
- General Government Budget Committee, House of Representatives
- Judiciary Committee, House of Representatives
- Engineering Success for the Future of KS Taskforce
Talia ran for election in the 2012 election for Kansas House of Representatives District 18. Talia ran unopposed in the August 7 Democratic primary and was defeated by John Rubin (R) in the general election, which took place on November 6, 2012.
|Kansas House of Representatives, District 18, General Election, 2012|
|Republican||John Rubin Incumbent||53.7%||6,057|
On November 4, 2008, Talia was elected to the 23rd District Seat in the Kansas House of Representatives, defeating August Bogina, III (R). Talia raised $49,440 for his campaign, while Bogina raised $36,932.
|Kansas House of Representatives, District 23|
|Milack Talia (D)||4,910||56.6%|
|August Bogina, III (R)||3,761||43.3%|
In 2008 Talia collected $49,440 in donations.
Four of his largest contributors were:
|Kansas Democratic Party||$18,086|
|Carpenters District Council of Kansas City & Vicinity||$1,000|
|Auto Workers Local 31||$1,000|
Talia and his wife Jodi have one child.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term Milack + Talia + Kansas + Legislature
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Milack Talia's Official Website
- Kansas Legislature - Milack Talia (dead link)
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Project Vote Smart Legislative Profile
- Kansas Votes profile
- Campaign contributions: 2004, 2006, 2008
- "milack," Official Campaign Website
- Milack Talia - Homepage
- Project Vote Smart - Rep. Talia Issue Positions
- Kansas Legislature - Bills Introduced by Member
- Kansas Secretary of State, "Candidates for the 2012 Primary (unofficial)," accessed June 19, 2012
- Kansas Secretary of State, "2012 Primary Election - Official Vote Totals," accessed March 31, 2014
- Kansas Secretary of State, "2012 General Election - Official Vote Totals," accessed March 31, 2014
- Kansas Secretary of State, "2010 General Election - Official Vote Totals," accessed March 29, 2014
- Kansas Secretary of State, "2008 General Election - Official Vote Totals," accessed March 29, 2014
- Follow the Money, "Kansas 2008 - Candidates," accessed March 29, 2014
- Follow the Money - 2008 Campaign Contributions
|Kansas House of Representatives District 23
| Succeeded by|
Brett Hildabrand (R)
State of Kansas
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | Commissioner of Education | Commissioner of Insurance | Secretary of Agriculture | Secretary of Wildlife and Parks | Secretary of Labor | Corporation Commission |