|Virginia Senate District 39|
|Service/branch||U.S. Navy Reserve|
Baker is a lawyer. He formerly served for eight years as a naval reserve officer.
- See also: Virginia State Senate elections, 2011
Baker ran in the 2011 election for Virginia Senate District 39. He defeated Scott Martin in the primary on August 23, 2011 and was defeated by incumbent George Barker (D) in the general election on November 8, 2011.Cite error: Closing
</ref> missing for
|Virginia State Senate, District 39 General Election, 2011|
|Democratic||George Barker Incumbent||53.2%||21,201|
|Virginia State Senate Republican Primary, 2011|
From October 26, 2011-October 31, 2011, Barker raised $81,779, well above Baker's fundraising figures.
Baker's website highlighted the following campaign themes:
- Excerpt: "Miller’s goal is to reduce the Virginia personal income tax and corporate income tax as much as possible, in order to make Virginia a magnet for businesses and families fleeing the failed policies of high tax states such as California."
- Excerpt: "Miller will work unceasingly to eliminate wasteful government spending, such as tax dollar support for public radio and television."
- Excerpt: "Unlike Virginia Senate Democrats, Miller believes that building roads should be our number one transportation priority, and that transportation improvements can and should be funded out of the Commonwealth’s General Fund."
- Excerpt: "As the Declaration of Independence recognizes, the right to life is unalienable and is the first of all rights. Miller will defend life at all stages."
- Higher Education
- Excerpt: "Virginians are justly proud of their public universities. Miller will seek to prevent public universities from raising tuition and fees without approval from the General Assembly."
- Second Amendment
- Excerpt: "Miller will strongly resist attempts to encroach upon the Second Amendment rights of gun owners and gun collectors."
- Excerpt: "Miller will support making every state senator’s voting record easily ascertainable on the Internet. The House of Delegates in 2011 adopted Delegate Jim LeMuyon’s resolution (H.R. 64) requiring that the complete voting record of delegates be made readily available."
- Legal Reform
- Excerpt: "Miller will champion overdue reform of the Virginia legal system."
Baker and his wife, Margaret, have five children.