Mineral County School Property Tax Continuation (February 2010)
This measure was approved
- YES 1,803
- NO 522
This measure asked voters if they wanted to continue for another five years the current levy that is in place. This levy that is collected goes towards the general school budget fund, used for classroom supplies and equipment upgrades. School board officials hoped that it would be renewed due to the fact that about 13 percent of their budget is generated from this levy. Inclement weather threatens to make it a tough day to go to the polls to vote,but election officials confirmed that they could not cancel or reschedule the election date and were hoping for the best regardless of the weather. The tax is needed and will not increase what people pay currently, just renew the existing levy.
The election ended up being postponed to March 6th due to inclement weather. The city also extended the registration date, for those that were unable to do so before. Those that already turned in their ballots will not have to vote again in march, election officials said they would just keep the ballot sealed and count them when the new election is held. Such postponements are rare, but officials felt it was needed in this case.
- Cumberland Times-News, "Mineral County voters continue school tax levy," March 7, 2010
- Cumberland Times News, "Mineral voters to decide school levy," January 13, 2010
- Cumberland Times News, "Storm threat could hamper Mineral school levy election," February 4, 2010
- Cumberland Times News, "Mineral levy election postponed," February 5, 2010
- Cumberland Times News, "Mineral voters will decide fate of school tax levy March 6," February 11, 2010