Minnesota's 6th Congressional District elections, 2014
November 4, 2014
August 12, 2014
|Candidate Filing Deadline||Primary Election||General Election|
Voter registration: Voters must register to vote in the primary by either July 22, 2014, to pre-register, or on election day. For the general election, the voter registration deadline is October 14, 2014 (21st day before Election Day).
- See also: Minnesota elections, 2014
Note: Prior to the signature filing deadline, candidates will be added when Ballotpedia writers come across declared candidates. If you see a name of a candidate who is missing, please email us and we will add that name. As the election draws closer, more information will be added to this page.
- Judy Adams
- Rhonda Sivarajah-Anoka County Comissioner
- Phil Krinkie
Despite Bachmann's announcement that she will not seek re-election in 2014, her campaign committee is still reporting contributions and expenditures to the Federal Election Commission. Below are Bachmann's reports.
|Michele Bachmann (2014) Campaign Finance Reports|
|Report||Date Filed||Beginning Balance||Total Contributions|
for Reporting Period
|Expenditures||Cash on Hand|
|April Quarterly||April 15, 2013||$2,007,568.95||$678,665.51||$(892,330.30)||$1,856,904.16|
|July Quarterly||July 16, 2013||$1,856,904.16||$833,131.36||$(889,576.51)||$1,800,459.01|
|October Quarterly||October 15, 2013||$1,800,459.01||$26,977.85||$(86,502.59)||$1,740,934.27|
|Year-End Quarterly||December 31, 2013||$1,740,934||$0||$(-11,096)||$1,767,236|
The Minnesota sixth district was a close race in 2012, with Michele Bachmann securing a victory by a 1.2% margin. Minnesota's 6th District was included in the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee's "Red to Blue List," which identified districts that the organization specifically targeted to flip from Republican to Democratic control. The district leans Republican with Cook Political Report giving it a Partisan Voter Index rating of R+8. Both candidates ran as conservative choices, with Jim Graves offering himself as a less extreme option than Bachmann.Bachmann faced declining voter approval, with 59% of voters saying they had an unfavorable opinion of her. Michele Bachmann out spent her opponent, spending $22,725,128, while Graves spent $2,279,384.
Democratic Super PAC House Majority PAC listed incumbent Michele Bachmann as one of 10 they were targeting as a vulnerable incumbent Republicans in 2014, with the focus on those holding competitive seats.
Tom Emmer's appearance in an ad for Integrity Exteriors and Remodelers, Inc.
Tom Emmer has taken a significant amount of criticism for his appearance in an ad for Integrity Exteriors and Remodelers, Inc, a home remodeling company that he endorses after announcing that he is "running for Congress in Minnesota's 6th Congressional District," while standing in front of an "Emmer for Congress" sign.
The ad raises questions about possible campaign finance issues, depending mainly on who paid for the ad. If the company paid for the ad, corporations are forbidden from donating directly to campaigns, so it may end up being a campaign finance violation.
Emmer's campaign claims they have asked Integrity to stop running the commercial because "[i]t was not Tom's intention for this testimonial to be used in a broadcast capacity or advertisement for the campaign."
|Candidate Ballot Access|
|Find detailed information on ballot access requirements in all 50 states and Washington D.C.|
The 6th Congressional District of Minnesota held an election for the U.S. House of Representatives on November 6, 2012. Incumbent Michele Bachmann (R) defeated Jim Graves (D) in the general election.
|U.S. House, Minnesota District 6 General Election, 2012|
|Republican||Michele Bachmann Incumbent||50.5%||179,240|
|Source: Minnesota Secretary of State, "Official Election Results, 2012 General Election"|
On November 2, 2010, Michele Bachmann (R) won re-election to the United States House. She defeated Tarryl Clark (D), Aubrey Immelman (I), Bob Anderson (Independence) and Dennis S. Ferche (I) in the general election.
- United States House of Representatives elections in Minnesota, 2014
- United States House of Representatives elections, 2014
- National Conference of State Legislatures Website, "State Primary Election Types," accessed January 6, 2014
- Fair Vote, "Congressional and Presidential Primaries: Open, Closed, Semi-Closed, and 'Top Two,'" accessed January 6, 2014
- Ballotpedia research conducted December 26, 2013 through January 3, 2014 researching and analyzing various state websites and codes.
- Minnesota Secretary of State Website, "How to Register," accessed January 3, 2014
- http://www.politico.com/story/2013/05/michele-bachmann-not-running-again-91972.html?hp=t1_3 Politico, "Michele Bachmann not running again" Accessed May 29, 2013]
- Minnesota Redistricting Map "Map" accessed August 30, 2012
- Politico "Green activist Judy Adams to run for Bachmann seat" accessed June 14, 2013
- Campaign website, "About", accessed November 11, 2013
- Campaign website "About" accessed June 10, 2013
- Rollcall.com "Second Republican Announces Bid for Bachmann Seat" accessed June 14, 2013
- Inform.com "Krinkie joins 6th District GOP House race in Minnesota," accessed July 20, 2013
- Atlanta Journal Constitution, "Running for Congress, in Georgia and three other states – at the same time," accessed November 12, 2013
- Federal Election Commission, "Bachmann 2014 Summary reports," accessed July 18, 2013
- FEC, "April Quarterly," accessed July 18, 2013
- FEC, "July Quarterly," accessed July 18, 2013
- FEC, "October Quarterly," accessed October 23, 2013
- FEC, "Year-End Quarterly," accessed February 11, 2014
- DCCC, "Red to Blue 2012"
- Cook Political Report "Partisan Voting Index Districts of the 113th Congress: 2004 & 2008" Accessed March 2013
- Jim Graves campaign site Accessed March 2013
- New Civil Rights Movement "Michele Bachmann's latest poll numbers are frightening" Accessed March 2013
- Open Secrets "Minnesota District 6 Summary, 2012" Accessed March 2013
- Sunshine State News "Democratic Super-PAC Targets Steve Southerland" Accessed March 8, 2013
- Bluestem Prairie, "Tom Emmer shills for Integrity Exteriors and Remodelers as a candidate running for congress," accessed October 1, 2013
- Daily Kos, "Daily Kos Elections Morning Digest: Would-be Bachmann successor brings his own bizarro to the race," accessed October 1, 2013
- ABC News, "General Election Results 2012-Minnesota," November 7, 2012
- U.S. Congress House Clerk, "Statistics of the Congressional Election of November 2, 2010," accessed March 28, 2013