Minnesota House Speaker releases proposed 2012 calendar
By Greg Janetka
The session begins on January 24, with a constitutional requirement to adjourn by May 21. Republicans, however, are aiming for an early end to the session on April 30. The last time the legislature finished in April was back in 1998.
With a court panel scheduled to release new redistricting maps on February 21, it is believed many legislators are pushing for an earlier end in order to become familiar with their new districts and raise campaign funds, which they cannot do while in session.
The calendar may still change, but current key dates are as follows:
- January 12: pre-introduction of bills begins.
- January 24: session convenes.
- February 2-7: recess for precinct caucuses.
- February 21: new district maps released.
- February 29: new budget forecast released.
- April 6-13: Easter-Passover break.
- April 30: planned end of legislative session for the year.
- May 21: Constitutionally required end of the session.