Minnesota Legislative Pay Council Amendment (2016)
|Legislative Pay Council Amendment|
|Referred by:||Minnesota Legislature|
|Topic:||State legislatures measures on the ballot|
|Status:||On the ballot|
The Minnesota Legislative Pay Council Amendment, HF 1823 is on the November 8, 2016 ballot in Minnesota as a legislatively-referred constitutional amendment. The measure, upon voter approval, would create an independent board to set the pay of state legislators. The commission would consist of 16 members, 8 of whom would be appointed by the governor and 8 of whom would be appointed by the chief justice of the Minnesota Supreme Court.
Text of measure
The official ballot text reads as follows:
This text is quoted verbatim from the original source. Any inconsistencies are attributed to the original source.
Shall the Minnesota Constitution be amended to remove legislators' ability to set their own salaries, and instead establish an independent, citizens-only council to prescribe salaries for legislators?
- The amendment would solve the “conflict of interest problem” inherent in compensation issues. He said, “We shouldn’t be spending our time here debating what our pay should be.”
- “I have always felt that money shouldn’t be the reason people run for office. But it shouldn’t be the reason that people leave public office, either. The pay should be adequate so that regular people have the opportunity to serve.”
Path to the ballot
- See also: Amending the Minnesota Constitution
In order to refer proposed amendments to the ballot they must be agreed on by a majority of the members of each chamber of the Minnesota State Legislature. The Minnesota House of Representatives passed the measure with a 69-62 vote on May 17, 2013 The Minnesota State Senate sent the measure on to the ballot with a 43-23 vote on May 20, 2013.
May 17, 2013 House vote
|Minnesota HF 1823 House Vote|
May 20, 2013 Senate vote
|Minnesota HF 1823 Senate Vote|
- Associated Press, "Measure on Minn. lawmaker pay now on 2016 ballot," May 20, 2013
- Minn Post, "Minnesota’s legislators: Are they underpaid?," March 24, 2013
- Minnesota State Legislature, "HF 1823 Status in the House for the 88th Legislature (2013 - 2014)," accessed March 3, 2014
- The Office of the Revisor of Statutes, "Minnesota Session Laws," accessed March 3, 2014
- Twin Cities Pioneer Press, "Minnesota House OKs seeking constitutional amendment on lawmaker pay council," May 17, 2014