For status updates, visit lucyburns.org.
Ballotpedia's coverage of elections held on March 3, 2015, was limited. Select races were covered live, and all results will be added once the merger is complete.
Minnesota Secretary of State
|Minnesota Secretary of State|
|Office website:||Official Link|
|2013-2014 FY Budget:||$5,938,000|
|Length of term:||4 years|
|Authority:||Minnesota Constitution, Article V, Section I the Executive Department|
|Assumed office:||January 5, 2015|
|Next election:||November 6, 2018|
|Last election:||November 4, 2014|
|Other Minnesota Executive Offices|
|Governor • Lieutenant Governor • Secretary of State • Attorney General • Treasurer • Auditor • Commissioner of Education • Agriculture Commissioner • Commerce Commissioner • Natural Resources Commissioner • Labor Commissioner • Public Utilities Commission|
- 1 Current officeholder
- 2 Authority
- 3 Qualifications
- 4 Elections
- 5 Electoral history
- 6 Vacancies
- 7 Duties
- 8 Divisions
- 9 State budget
- 10 Compensation
- 11 Historical officeholders
- 12 Recent news
- 13 Contact Information
- 14 See also
- 15 External links
- 16 References
The current officeholder is Steve Simon. He was first elected to the statewide position in 2014 and was sworn in for a four-year term on January 5, 2015. Simon succeeded two-term incumbent Mark Ritchie (D), who declined to seek re-election as secretary of state in 2014.
Under Article V, Section I:
The executive department consists of a governor, lieutenant governor, secretary of state...
Here is a list of the standard qualifications necessary under Minnesota State Law in order to be considered for the Office of Secretary of State:
- Must be 21 years of age
- Must be a qualified elector in the state of Minnesota
- Must be a legal resident of Minnesota 30 days prior to the general election
The office of Secretary of State is an elected position with elections held every four years. Elections are held in November and officers assume their duties the following January. There are no term limits.
|Secretary of State of Minnesota, 2014|
|Election Results via Minnesota Secretary of State.|
|2010 Race for Secretary of State - Democratic Primary|
|Democratic Party||Mark Ritchie||81.8%|
|Democratic Party||Dick Franson||18.2%|
- 2010 Race for Secretary of State - Republican Primary
- Dan Severson ran unopposed in this contest
|2010 Race for Secretary of State - General Election|
|Democratic Party||Mark Ritchie||49.1%|
|Republican Party||Dan Severson||45.6%|
|2006 Race for Secretary of State - Democratic Primary|
|Democratic Party||Mark Ritchie||71.4%|
|Democratic Party||Dick Franson||28.6%|
|2006 Race for Secretary of State - General Election|
|Democratic Party||Mark Ritchie||49.1%|
|Republican Party||Mary Kiffmeyer||44.2%|
|American Independent Party||Joel Spoonheim||3.0%|
Note: Ballotpedia's state executive officials project researches the constitutional or statutory text that details the process of filling vacancies for a state executive office. That information for the Minnesota Secretary of State has not yet been added. After extensive research we were unable to identify any relevant information on state official websites. If you have any additional information about this office for inclusion on this section and/or page, please email us.
The secretary is the keeper of the Great Seal of the state of Minnesota. The secretary of state is responsible for preserving documents filed with the state, providing certain business services to the public, maintaining the recording of financing statements under the Uniform Commercial Code and administering Safe at Home, an address confidentiality program assisting Minnesotans who fear for their safety such as victims of domestic violence, sexual assault, and stalking. Additionally, the secretary serves as the chief elections officer in Minnesota.
The secretary of state serves as a member on the State Executive Council, State Board of Investment, and the Minnesota Historical Society Executive Board.
Note: Ballotpedia's state executive officials project researches state official websites for information that describes the divisions (if any exist) of a state executive office. That information for the Minnesota Secretary of State has not yet been added. After extensive research we were unable to identify any relevant information on state official websites. If you have any additional information about this office for inclusion on this section and/or page, please email us.
- See also: Minnesota state budget and finances
The Secretary of State's budget for fiscal year 2013-2014 is $5,938,000.
- See also: Compensation of state executive officers
Salaries for the governor, lieutenant governor, attorney general, and secretary of state are mandated in the Minnesota Constitution and established by the state legislature. The legislature created a 16-member compensation council, appointed every other January, to put forth compensation recommendations for constitutional officers by April 15th of the designated year. 
...The duties and salaries of the executive officers shall be prescribed by law.
In 2013, the secretary's salary remained at $90,227.
Note: Ballotpedia's state executive officials project researches state official websites for chronological lists of historical officeholders. That information for the Minnesota Secretary of State has not yet been added because the information was unavailable on the relevant state official websites, or we are currently in the process of formatting the list for this office. If you have any additional information about this office for inclusion on this section and/or page, please email us.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term Minnesota + Secretary + State
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
180 State Office Building
100 Reverend Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard
Saint Paul, MN 55155-1299
Business Phone: (651) 296-2803
Elections Phone: (651) 215-1440
Toll Free Phone: (800) 627-3529
Fax: (651) 215-0682
- Office of the Minnesota Secretary of State
- Minnesota Secretary of State, "About the office"
- Minnesota Secretary of State, "Duties"
- Minnesota Secretary of State, "About" accessed January 6, 2015
- Minnesota Secretary of State - Guide for Candidates
- Minnesota Secretary of State - 2010 Secretary of State Primary Election Results
- Minnesota Secretary of State - 2010 General Elections Results
- Minnesota Secretary of State - 2006 Primary Election Results
- Minnesota Secretary of State - 2006 General Election Results
- The Office of the Revisor of Statutes, "Chapter 142--S.F.No. 1589," Section 6," accessed June28, 2013
- House Research, “State Elected Officials Compensation,” accessed February 24, 2015
- Council of State Governments, "SELECTED STATE ADMINISTRATIVE OFFICIALS: ANNUAL SALARIES," accessed December 2, 2014
- Council of State Governments, Table 4.11 Selected State Administrative Officials: Annual Salaries," accessed January 30, 2014
- The Council of State Governments, "The Book of States 2010 Table 4.11," accessed July 3, 2011