Mississippi 2011 ballot measures
- The three certified measures were indirect initiated constitutional amendments.
- Two were approved, while one was defeated.
The signature filing deadline for the 2011 ballot in Mississippi was February 14, 2010. A minimum of 89,284 signatures were required for proposed initiatives. A grand total of seven initiatives were proposed for the 2011 ballot.
On the ballot
- See also: 2011 ballot measures
|IndICA||Initiative 26||Abortion||Defines human personhood as beginning at the moment of fertilization||
|IndICA||Initiative 27||Elections||Would require Voter ID at the polls||
|IndICA||Initiative 31||Eminent domain||Prohibit state & local government from taking private property by eminent domain.||
Not on the ballot
The following measures were not on the ballot:
|IndICA||Term Limits Amendment||Term limits||Would limit appointed and elected state and local officials to two successive terms|
|IndICA||Cigarette Tax Amendment||Tobacco||A new tax on cigarettes in addition to already applicable fees|
|IndICA||Federal Directives Initiative||Admin of gov't||The state would not be obligated to follow federal directives deemed unconstitutional|
|IndICA||Healthcare Amendment||Healthcare||Protect the individual’s right to make health care decisions|
Public hearings were set up by the Mississippi Secretary of State's office, in accordance with state law, for the public and media in relation to the three ballot measures on the ballot. The hearings involved statements given by supporters and opponents of the measures, as well as other information on the proposals. Each of the initiative topics were discussed at the public hearing at the following times and places:
- July 7, 2011 -- Southaven, Desoto Civic Center
- July 12, 2011 -- Starkville, Bost Conference Center Theatre
- July 20, 2011 -- Pearl, Clyde Muse Center at Hinds Community College
- July 21, 2011 -- Gulfport, Jefferson Davis Community College Auditorium
- July 26, 2011 -- Hattiesburg, Lake Terrace Convention Center
- July 28, 2011 -- Meridian, MSU Riley Center
- Aug. 9, 2011 -- Tupelo, Link Centre Concert Hall
- Aug. 25, 2011 -- Natchez, Co-Lin Community College Auditorium
- Sept. 6, 2011 -- Cleveland, Bologna Performing Arts Center at Delta State
Local ballot measures
- See also: Local ballot measure elections in 2012
No local measures have been identified for 2012. Read about local happenings here.
- 2011 ballot measures
- Laws governing the initiative process in Mississippi
- List of Mississippi ballot measures
- List of ballot measures by state
- Mississippi Legislature
- Initiative Process in Mississippi, an overview from the Secretary of State
- Mississippi Initiatives and Initiative Information from the Secretary of State
- Mississippi signature requirements collated by the Citizens in Charge Foundation
- Filed initiatives
- Will ballot initiatives sway turnout?
- Ballot initiatives represent state’s conservative trifecta