Mississippi Healthcare Amendment (2011)
|Not on Ballot|
| This measure did not or |
will not appear on a ballot
Text of measure
Should the Constitution prohibit any laws compelling a person or employer to participate in a health care system or plan?
Initiative #32 would amend the Mississippi Constitution to provide that people have the right to enter into private contracts with health care providers and purchase private health care coverage, however, a law or rule shall not compel participation in any health care system or plan, nor impose any penalty for choosing to obtain or decline health care coverage or for participating in any particular health care system or plan.
Path to the ballot
- See also: Mississippi signature requirements
To qualify for the ballot, its supporters must have garnered about 89,284 valid signatures. Specifically supporters must have collected at least 17,857 signatures must be from each of the 5 congressional districts.
Similar measures in other states
Groups in Indiana, New Mexico, North Dakota and Wyoming considered similar proposals in 2010. Two of these states (North Dakota and Wyoming) allowed ballot initiatives; in the other three states, the state legislature would have to vote it onto the ballot using their state's procedure for constitutional amendments.
With United States President Barack Obama signing the federal health care bill into law, many states began preparing themselves to combat the health care mandates that are on the verge of taking place across the country. Some states have pending initiatives or legislative referrals for the statewide ballots, however, in other states attorney generals are joining in a national lawsuit.
- Associated Press,"Ballot initiative sought on mandatory health care," April 21, 2010
- WDAM,"Healthcare Reform Could Be Placed on MS Ballot in 2011," April 21, 2010
- Associated Press,"Miss. ballot sought against requiring health care," April 21, 2010
- WLOX13,"Mississippians could vote on healthcare amendment to constitution," April 20, 2010
- Majority in Mississippi,"Ballot Initiative Seeks To Prohibit Mandatory Insurance Requirement," April 20, 2010
- Fox News, "State Lawmakers Considering Move to Opt Out of Federal Healthcare", June 25, 2009
- Fox News, "Obama to Sign Landmark Health Reform Bill", March 23, 2010
- CNN, "Obama signs health care reform bill, aims to promote it on the road", March 23, 2010