For status updates, visit lucyburns.org.
Ballotpedia's coverage of elections held on March 3, 2015, was limited. Select races were covered live, and all results will be added once the merger is complete.
Mississippi government sector lobbying
This practice is controversial because public funds are spent to lobby for an agenda not subject to direct approval by voters, and outcomes may be contrary to taxpayers' benefit.
Madison County expanded the duties of its federal lobbyist to include presenting local issues to the Mississippi Legislature in late 2010, making it one of the entities that has both in-state and federal lobbying representation. Steve Seale, a former member of the state Senate, will get $2,500 a month to lobby the Legislature. Seale is expected to keep the county abreast of legislative happenings, as well as represent the county's interests in legislative redistricting.
Madison County's lobbyist has been accused of avoiding questions relating to his lobbying contract with the county.
The Mississippi Municipal League, to which 288 cities and towns belong, "advocates aggressively for municipal-friendly legislation." As of 2010, this includes issues such as opposing the expansion of the sales tax holiday and opposing a bill that would treat police officers differently from other public employees with regards to due process.
Lobbying required for receiving bonds
The Mississippi Legislature singled out Jackson as the only municipality that needed to submit an application to and lobby the state Bond Commission in order to receive a loan that the lawmakers had promised the city.
Taxpayer-funded lobbying associations
- Mississippi Association of Chiefs of Police
- Mississippi Sheriffs Association
- Mississippi Troopers Association
- Mississippi Association of School Administrators
- Mississippi Association of School Superintendents
- Mississippi School Boards Association
- "Madison Co. lobbyist paid $75K annually to lobby Washington," Mississippi Business Journal, October 19, 2010
- "Madison County Lobbyist won't answer questions until you answer some questions first, and prove your 'special'" (sic), November 2, 2010
- Mississippi Municipal League Member Cities
- Legislative - Mississippi Municipal League
- "Jackson Singled Out for Bond ‘Lobbying’," Jackson Free Press, August 18, 2010