Missouri Director of Agriculture
|Missouri Director of Agriculture|
|Office website:||Official Link|
|2012-2013 FY Budget:||$40,642,234|
|Length of term:||Serves at the governor's pleasure|
|Authority:||Missouri Constitution, Article IV, Section 35, the Executive Department|
|Selection Method:||Appointed by the governor with the consent of the state senate|
|Other Missouri Executive Offices|
|Governor • Lieutenant Governor • Secretary of State • Attorney General • Treasurer • Auditor • Commissioner of Education • Agriculture Director • Insurance Director • Natural Resources Director • Labor Director • Public Service Commission|
The director serves as head of the Department of Agriculture, which was established in 1933. The Department sets agriculture policy, assists farmers, and regulates the industry.
The mission statement of the department is "To serve, promote, and protect the agricultural producers, processors, and consumers of Missouri’s food, fuel, and fiber products."
The current acting officeholder is Harry Bozoian. He was appointed on Oc. 11, 2013 by Gov. Jay Nixon to replace fired previous officeholder Jon Hagler. Bozoian was serving as deputy director of the Missouri Department of Natural Resources at the time of Hagler's abrupt departure.
Under Article IV, Section 35:
The department of agriculture shall be in charge of a director appointed by the governor by and with the advice and consent of the senate...
Note: Ballotpedia's state executive officials project researches the constitutional or statutory text that establishes the requirements necessary to qualify for a state executive office. That information for the Missouri Director of Agriculture has not yet been added. After extensive research we were unable to identify any relevant information on state official websites. If you have any additional information about this office for inclusion on this section and/or page, please email us.
Note: Ballotpedia's state executive officials project researches the constitutional or statutory text that details the process of filling vacancies for a state executive office. That information for the Missouri Director of Agriculture has not yet been added. After extensive research we were unable to identify any relevant information on state official websites. If you have any additional information about this office for inclusion on this section and/or page, please email us.
The Missouri Department of Agriculture sets agriculture policy and provides assistance to farmers throughout the state. Its duties include consumer protection, public health roles, environmental advocacy, agricultural marketing, public information and awareness, and promoting new technology and new uses for Missouri’s agricultural goods.
The Department of Agriculture is composed of the following divisions:
- Office of the Director
- Agriculture Business Development
- Animal Health
- Grain Inspection & Warehousing
- Plant Industries
- Weights & Measures
The Department of Agriculture's budget for 2012-2013 was $40,642,234.
Article IV, Section 21 of the state Constitution addresses compensation of executive officials:
Under Article IV, Section 21:
The officers named in this article shall receive for their services salaries fixed by law, which shall not be increased or diminished during their terms.
Note: Ballotpedia's state executive officials project researches state official websites for chronological lists of historical officeholders. That information for the Missouri Director of Agriculture has not yet been added because the information was unavailable on the relevant state official websites, or we are currently in the process of formatting the list for this office. If you have any additional information about this office for inclusion on this section and/or page, please email us.
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term Missouri + Director + of + Agriculture
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Former Missouri agriculture chief faces scrutiny - STLtoday.com
- Criticism of Missouri agriculture chief doesn't match track record - STLtoday.com
- Speaker names members for Mo. ag committee - Southeast Missourian
- USDA Awards More than $300K for Mo. Projects - KOMU-TV
- 5 Missouri universities join together to offer more agriculture classes online - The Republic
- Researcher looks to improve predictions of decades-long weather cycles - The Missoulian
- Missouri State receives gift of 157 acres of woodlands - Springfield News-Leader
- Big day in college football - Agriculture.com
- Farm Briefs - Enterprise-Record
- Houghton to run for 3rd term as District 43 representative - Fulton Sun
<ref> tags exist, but no
<references/> tag was found
Missouri Department of Agriculture
PO Box 630
1616 Missouri Boulevard
Jefferson City, MO 65109
- ↑ Missouri Department of Agriculture, "About MDA," accessed October 1, 2011
- ↑ The St. Louis Post-Dispatch, "Hagler replaced as director Mo. agriculture agency," October 11, 2013
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Missouri Department of Agriculture, About MDA
- ↑ Missouri 96th General Assembly, "House bill No. 2006," accessed July 5, 2013
- ↑ The Council of State Governments,"The Book of States 2010 Table 4.11," retrieved June 21, 2011