Missouri Ethics Commission
The Missouri Ethics Commission serves the public interest by assisting and educating the citizens of Missouri, public officials, lobbyists, and individuals participating in public elections while consistently and uniformly enforcing campaign finance, conflict of interest, and lobbying laws.
The Missouri Ethics Commission is governed by a six person board.
Selection of members
All members are nominated by the Governor of Missouri. Each member serves a four year term and no more than three of the six members can be from the same political party. Each member nominated must be confirmed upon the advise and consent of the Missouri State Senate.
Campaign finance discipline
If someone feels that a person violated Missouri campaign finance laws, then the first step is to the file a complaint to the Missouri Ethics Commission. Once a complaint is received, an investigator for the commission fully reviews and investigates the complaint. Once the complaint is reviewed and investigated then the results are sent to the Ethics Commission during a probable cause hearing. Four members of the Commission must approve a complaint before allowing further inquirty
If the Commission feels that there is probable cause of a campaign finance law violation involving civil statutes then the Commission handles the matter without any action in a court of law. If there is probable cause of criminal law violations, then the case is referred to the Missouri Attorney General.
- Campaign finance requirements for Missouri ballot measures
- Missouri Attorney General
- Missouri Secretary of State
- Missouri Ethics Commission official website
- Missouri Secretary of State-Elections Division
- Missouri Campaign Finance Disclosure database
- Missouri Campaign Finance Information
- Missouri Continuing Committee campaign finance manual
- Missouri campaign finance statutes
- Campaign Disclosure Project
- ↑ Missouri Ethics Commission "About the Missouri Ethics Commission"(See "Our Mission")
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Missouri Ethics Commission "About the Missouri Ethics Commission"(See "Executive Director's Message")
- ↑ Missouri General Assembly "Missouri Campaign Finance Law"(Referenced Statute 105-961 (1) Missouri Statutes)
- ↑ "Missouri General Assembly" Missouri Campaign Finance Law(Referenced Statute 130-054(4) Missouri Statutes)
- ↑ Missouri General Assembly "Missouri Campaign Finance Law"(Referenced Statute 105-961 (3) Missouri Statutes)
- ↑ Missouri General Assembly "Missouri Campaign Finance Law"(Referenced Statute 105-961 (2) Missouri Statutes)
State of Missouri
Jefferson City (capital)
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | State Auditor | Commissioner of Education | Director of Insurance | Director of Agriculture | Director of Natural Resources | Director of Labor & Industrial Relations | Chairman of Public Service Commission |