Missouri Income Tax Credit Initiative (2012)
|Not on Ballot|
| This measure did not or |
will not appear on a ballot
The measure was confirmed for circulation on December 13, 2010 by the Missouri Secretary of State. A second version of the proposed measure was filed and approved for circulation on October 18, 2011.
The initiative was proposed by Herman Kriegshauser of Chesterfield, Missouri.
Text of measure
The ballot title for the petition relating to taxation reads:
Shall the Missouri Constitution be amended to provide a Missouri state income tax credit of 60% of the amount of contributions or donations made by individuals and corporations to Missouri public schools, higher education colleges and universities, and incorporated and operated educational not-for-profit corporations, organizations, institutions and foundations, in addition to the deductions currently allowed to the contributor or donor for their federal and state income taxes, with certain exceptions?
Annual state government revenue may decrease by an estimated $244 million. The proposal is estimated to increase state operating costs by at least $80,000. Reduced state revenue could result in decreased state funding for local governments and public education entities. Public education entities could have an unknown increase in donation revenue.
Path to the ballot
- See also: Missouri signature requirements
To qualify for the ballot, the initiative required signatures from registered voters equal to 5% of the total votes cast in the 2008 governor's election from six of the state's nine congressional districts. Signatures on behalf of all initiative petitions for the 2012 ballot were due to the secretary of state’s office by no later than 5 p.m. on May 6, 2012.
- Missouri Watchdog,"Missouri approves four ballot initiatives for circulation," December 13, 2010
- KTTS,"Four Petitions Approved For Circulation For 2012," December 13, 2010
- Missouri Secretary of State,"Initiative Petition Relating to Taxation Approved for Circulation for 2012 Ballot," October 18, 2011
- Missouri Secretary of State,"Constitutional Amendment to Article X, Relating to Taxation, 2012-077," accessed October 20, 2011