Montana House of Representatives District 42
|Montana House of Representatives District 42|
|Current incumbent||Carolyn Pease-Lopez|
|Voting age||68.2% age 18 and over|
|Next election||November 4, 2014|
As of the 2012 census, a total of 9,601 civilians reside within Montana's forty-second state house district. Montana state representatives represent an average of 9,894 residents. After the 2000 Census, each member represented 9,022 residents.
About the office
- A resident of the state for at least one year next preceding the general election
- A resident of the county for six months preceding the general election if it contains one or more districts or of the district if it contains all or parts of more than one county.
- See also: Comparison of state legislative salaries
As of 2013, members of the Montana legislature are paid $82.64/day. Per diem is $105.31/day.
If there is a vacancy in the house, the Board of County Commissioners that represent the vacant seat must select a replacement. The Secretary of State must notify the Board of Commissioners and the county central committee of the political party that holds the vacant seat no later than seven days after the vacancy happened. The county central committee has 45 days after receiving notice from the Secretary of State to provide a list of candidates to the Board of County Commissioners. The board must select a replacement no later than 15 days after receiving the list of candidates. If the Senate is in session, the selection must be made no later than five days after receiving a candidate list. Any person selected to fill a Senate seat serves until the next scheduled general election.
Elections for the office of Montana House of Representatives consisted of a primary election on June 5, 2012, and a general election on November 6, 2012. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was March 12, 2012. Incumbent Carolyn Pease-Lopez (D) was unopposed in the general election and the Democratic primary.
Since 2000, candidates for Montana House of Representatives District 42 have raised a total of $15,745. Candidates who raised money in contributions earned $1,431 on average. All figures come from Follow the Money.
|Campaign contributions, Montana House of Representatives District 42|
- Montana Legislative Services Division, "Population Summary Report." Retrieved October 24, 2013
- United States Census Bureau, "2012 Census Interactive Population Search," accessed September 11, 2013 (dead link)
- U.S. Census Bureau, "States Ranked by Population," April 2, 2001. Accessed February 13, 2014
- Montana State Constitution, "Qualifications for running for legislature," accessed December 17, 2013(Referenced Article 5 Section 4)
- NCSL.org, "2012 State Legislator Compensation and Per Diem Table," accessed March 18, 2013
- Montana Legislature, "Montana Election Law," accessed December 17, 2013(Referenced Statute 5-2-402 (3) (a)-(c))
- Montana Legislature, "Montana Election Law," accessed December 17, 2013(Referenced Statute 5-2-405 (1)-(2))
- Montana Secretary of State, "2012 Elections Candidate Information," accessed October 23, 2013
- Montana Secretary of State, "2012 Legislatve Primary Election Canvass," accessed February 13, 2014
- Montana Secretary of State, "2012 Legislative General Election Canvass," accessed February 13, 2014
State of Montana
List of Montana ballot measures | Local measures | School bond issues | Ballot measure laws | Initiative laws | History of I&R | History of direct democracy | Campaign Finance Requirements | Recall process |
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Director of the Department of Revenue | State Auditor | Superintendent of Public Instruction | Commissioner of Securities and Insurance | Director of Agriculture | Director of Natural Resources and Conservation | Commissioner of Labor and Industry | Public Service Commission |