Montana State Auditor, Constitutional Amendment 43 (2006)
The amendment sought to change the name of "State Auditor" to "Insurance Commissioner."
|C-43 (State Auditor Act)|
Official results via: The Montana Secretary of State
The proposed amendment was supported by Senator Duane Grimes and Representative Dave Gallik. They argued that the Montana State Auditor does not audit "in the traditional sense," and therefore "state auditor" is a confusing term that causes misunderstandings and delays for consumers. They also stated that many states use the term "insurance commissioner" because it best describes the main function of the office--the regulation of the insurance industry--and argued that the name change would "simplify Montanans' lives and make state government more straightforward and understandable."
The measure was opposed by Representative Wayne Stahl. He argued that the state constitution should not be amended frivolously, and claimed that the proposed amendment "only applies a band aid to a real problem in state government and does not fit the duties of the office to the title of the office." He stated that,
- "Currently the Auditor's Office regulates insurance companies and securities companies. Many insurance companies' business operations include banking. Many banks also deal in insurance. However, the banking industry in Montana is regulated by the Department of Administration. Insurance, banking, and securities industries should all be regulated by one agency. The legislature should consolidate those regulatory duties and then ask the people of Montana to change the name of the office."
He also suggested eliminating the State Auditor's Office and transferring its duties to another department as an alternative, and argued that changing the name of the office would be expensive due to the cost of changing web sites, computer programs, public notifications and general supplies.
- List of Montana ballot measures
- Campaign finance requirements for Montana ballot measures
- Montana 2006 ballot measures
- 2006 ballot measures
- Montana State Senate
- Montana House of Representatives