Montana Superintendent of Public Instruction
|Montana Superintendent of Public Instruction|
|Office website:||Official Link|
|2014 FY Budget:||$885,904,775|
|Term limits:||Two terms in any 16 year period|
|Length of term:||4 years|
|Authority:||Montana Constitution, Article VI, Section 1 the Executive Department|
|Assumed office:||January 2009|
|Last election:||November 6, 2012|
|Other Montana Executive Offices|
|Governor • Lieutenant Governor • Secretary of State • Attorney General • Treasurer • Auditor • Superintendent of Public Instruction • Agriculture Director • Insurance Commissioner • Natural Resources Director • Labor Commissioner • Public Service Commission|
The Superintendent serves as head of the Montana Office of Public Instruction, whose mission statement is to provide "vision, advocacy, support and leadership for schools and communities to ensure that all students meet today's challenges and tomorrow's opportunities."
The current officeholder is Denise Juneau (D). She was elected in 2008 and re-elected in 2012.
Under Article VI, Section I:
The executive branch includes a governor, lieutenant governor, secretary of state, attorney general, superintendent of public instruction...
A candidate for superintendent of public instruction must be:
- at least 25 years of age or older at the time of election
- a citizen of the United States
- have resided within the state at least two years at his election
- have such educational qualifications as are provided by law
Article VI of the Montana State Constitution stipulates that the superintendent of public instruction is a publicly elected official who serves a term of four years. This statewide officer will, according to Article IV, Section 8, have served in that office or had he not resigned or been recalled would have served in that office 8 or more years in any 16-year period.
|Montana Superintendent of Public Instruction General Election, 2012|
|Democratic||Denise Juneau Incumbent||50.2%||235,397|
|Election Results via Montana Secretary of State.|
Details of vacancies are addressed under Article VI, Section 6.
If the superintendent of public instruction's office is vacant due to death, resignation, or disability, the Governor shall appoint a new superintendent of public instruction.
Under Article VI, Section 4(5):
The superintendent of public instruction and the auditor shall have such duties as are provided by law.
Note: Ballotpedia's state executive officials project researches state official websites for information that describes the divisions (if any exist) of a state executive office. That information for the Montana Superintendent of Public Instruction has not yet been added. After extensive research we were unable to identify any relevant information on state official websites. If you have any additional information about this office for inclusion on this section and/or page, please email us.
- See also: Montana state budget and finances
The Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction's budget for fiscal year 2014 was $885,904,775.
Under Article VI, Section 5(1):
Officers of the executive branch shall receive salaries provided by law.
In 2013, the superintendent's salary remained at $104,635.
Note: Ballotpedia's state executive officials project researches state official websites for chronological lists of historical officeholders. That information for the Montana Superintendent of Public Instruction has not yet been added because the information was unavailable on the relevant state official websites, or we are currently in the process of formatting the list for this office. If you have any additional information about this office for inclusion on this section and/or page, please email us.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term Montana + Superintendent + of + Public Instruction
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
The Montana Office of Public Instruction
Post Office Box 202501
Helena, MT 59620-2501
Toll Free: 888-231-9393
- Montana state executive offices
- Montana state executive officials
- Montana school districts
- Montana Department of Education
- Public education in Montana
- Montana Office of Public Instruction, "Homepage," accessed October 30, 2011
- Montana 63rd Legislature, "Chapter 380," E1-3," accessed June28, 2013
- Council of State Governments, "SELECTED STATE ADMINISTRATIVE OFFICIALS: ANNUAL SALARIES," accessed December 3, 2014
- Council of State Governments, Table 4.11 Selected State Administrative Officials: Annual Salaries," accessed January 30, 2014
- The Council of State Governments, "The Book of States 2010 Table 4.11," accessed June 22, 2011