Montana Vehicle Tax Revision, LR-115 (2000)
The Montana Vehicle Tax Revision Referendum, also known as LR-115, was on the November 7, 2000 ballot in Montana as a legislatively-referred state statute, where it was approved. The measure repealed the sales tax on new motor vehicles and replaced the existing light vehicle tax system with a registration fee based on the vehicle's age.
|Montana LR-115 (2000)|
Election results via: Montana Secretary of State
Text of measure
The language that appeared on the ballot:
- The Legislature submitted this proposal for a vote. It would repeal the state sales tax on new motor vehicles and replace the current light vehicle tax system with a registration fee based on the vehicle's age. In addition to other statutory fees, such as junk vehicle fees, etc., the annual fees would be:
Light vehicle age $195 4 years old or less $65 5 to 10 years old $6 11 years old or older
- Upon payment of specified fees, light vehicles could be registered for a 24-month period and some vehicles 11 years old or older could be permanently registered.
- It is estimated that the replacement of the vehicle tax with a flat fee will generate approximately the same amount of total revenue. However, the elimination of the new car sales tax will result in approximately $5.5 million less revenue to the state.
- Montana 2000 ballot measures
- 2000 ballot measures
- List of Montana ballot measures
- History of Initiative & Referendum in Montana
State of Montana
List of Montana ballot measures | Local measures | School bond issues | Ballot measure laws | Initiative laws | History of I&R | History of direct democracy | Campaign Finance Requirements | Recall process |
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Director of the Department of Revenue | State Auditor | Superintendent of Public Instruction | Commissioner of Securities and Insurance | Director of Agriculture | Director of Natural Resources and Conservation | Commissioner of Labor and Industry | Public Service Commission |