Cities in Montana
Montana allows municipal charter cities and counties. There are 54 total counties in Montana. Of those 54:
Types of local government
Local government in Montana consists of:
- 129 city governments.
- 54 county governments.
- In addition, there are 736 special districts and 321 independent school districts.
Cities in Montana may be classified as:
- Charter city: of which there are 32
- General law city: of which there are 97
Initiative process availability
The local units of government in Montana that make the initiative process available are:
- General law cities, which have a state mandated initiative and referendum process for ordinances. There are 97 such cities.
- Charter cities, which have the same state mandated initiative and referendum process for ordinances, as well as for charter amendment. Unlike in some other states, charter cities may not differ from the general law initiative requirements. There are 32 such cities.
- General law counties, which have a state mandated initiative and referendum process for ordinances. There are 51 such counties.
- Charter counties, which have a state mandated initiative and referendum process for ordinances and charter amendments. There are 3 such counties.
10 most populated cities
|List of Most Populated Cities in Montana|
|City||Population||City Type||Next election|
|Miles City||8,438||General law||N/A|
Full list of cities
- See also: List of Montana cities
|A guide to local ballot initiatives|