Montgomery County Public Schools, Virginia
|Montgomery County |
|Montgomery County, Virginia|
|Number of schools:||20|
|Website:||School Home Page|
|Board of Education|
About the districtMontgomery County, Virginia. The county seat of Montgomery County is Christiansburg. Montgomery County is home to 96,207 residents, according to the United States Census Bureau.
Montgomery County outperformed the rest of Virginia in terms of higher education achievement in 2013. The United States Census Bureau found that 42.4 percent of Montgomery County residents aged 25 years and older had attained a bachelor's degree compared to 35.2 percent for Virginia as a whole. The median household income in Montgomery County was $45,543 compared to $63,907 for the state of Virginia. The poverty rate in Montgomery County was 24.5 percent compared to 11.3 percent for the entire state.
Note: The United States Census Bureau considers "Hispanic or Latino" to be a place of origin rather than a race. Citizens may report both their race and their place of origin, and as a result, the percentages in each column of the racial demographics table may exceed 100 percent.
The current superintendent of Montgomery County Public Schools is Brenda Blackburn, who was appointed in March 2010. She attended the University of South Carolina and completed post graduate work at Stetson University. She has been a teacher, counselor, assistant principal and principal in secondary schools.
The Montgomery County School Board is composed of seven members who represent each of the seven voting districts in Montgomery County.
|Montgomery County School Board|
|Member||Role||District Name||Term Ends|
|B. Wendell Jones||Chair||District E||2015|
|Joseph T. Ivers, Jr.||Vice Chair||District F||2015|
|Gunin Kiran||Member||District A||2017|
|Jamie M. Bond||Member||District D||2017|
|Drema Foster||Member||District C||2013|
|Penny J. Franklin||Member||District B||2015|
|Sarah Woolsey||Member||District G||2015|
School board elections
Three seats were up for election on the Montgomery County Public School board on November 5, 2013. Those seats were for Districts A, C and D, however no candidate filed for District C. Four seats will be up for election in November 2015.
|Expenditures by Category|
|School Year||Staff Expenses||Student Services||Operational Expenses||Debt Service||Other||Budget Total|
|Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget|
|Montgomery County Teacher Salary Scale 2013-2014|
|Step||Bachelor's Degree ($)||Bachelor's + 20 ($)||Master's Degree ($)||Master's + 20 ($)||Doctorate ($)|
Schools in Montgomery County
Montgomery County operates 20 schools listed below in alphabetical order.
|Montgomery County schools|
|Eastern Montgomery Elementary|
|Eastern Montgomery High|
|Falling Branch Elementary|
|Gilbert Linkous Elementary|
|Harding Avenue Elementary|
|Margaret Beeks Elementary|
|Price's Fork Elementary|
|Transparency grading process|
The Commonwealth of Virginia assesses schools based on Standards of Learning (SOL) tests and other statewide assessments; schools receive two accountability ratings a year based on student performance on these assessments. SOL tests assess student performance in English, math, science and history. Ratings are also given based on school and school division adherence to the goals of the federal Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESEA), which requires 100 percent proficiency in reading and mathematics by 2014.
School's state accreditation is based on performance in English, history, mathematics and science.
Schools and school divisions, as well as the State, are rated as achieving Adequate Yearly Progress (AYP) if they meet or exceed annual benchmarks in reading and mathematics.
The Virginia Department of Education School Division Report Card reports Montgomery County Public Schools as having a student population of 9,795 and 20 schools in the division.
Montgomery County Public School Division did not make AYP for the 2009-2010 school year.
|School||Grade||Enrollment|| Made Adequate Yearly
Progress for 2009?
|Auburn Elementary||Pre-K - 5||617||Yes|
|Auburn High||9 – 12, PG||405||Yes|
|Auburn Middle||6 - 8||271||Yes|
|Belview Elementary||Pre-K - 5||265||Yes|
|Blacksburg High||9 – 12, PG||1,128||No|
|Blacksburg Middle||6 - 8||890||No|
|Christiansburg Elementary||3 - 5||457||No|
|Christiansburg High||9 – 12, PG||1,082||No|
|Christiansburg Middle||6 - 8||844||No|
|Christiansburg Primary||Pre-K - 2||461||No|
|Eastern Montgomery High||9 – 12, PG||326||Yes|
|Elliston-Lafayette Elementary||Pre-K - 5||214||No|
|Falling Branch Elementary||Pre-K - 5||560||Yes|
|Gilbert Linkous Elementary||Pre-K - 5||364||Yes|
|Harding Avenue Elementary||Pre-K - 5||264||Yes|
|Kipps Elementary||Pre-K - 5||514||Yes|
|Margaret Beeks Elementary||Pre-K - 5||414||Yes|
|Prices Fork Elementary||Pre-K - 5||238||Yes|
|Shawsville Elementary||Pre-K - 5||268||Yes|
|Shawsville Middle||6 - 8||213||Yes|
Last updated on July 4, 2010.
- The Montgomery County Public Schools adopted 2010-2011 budget is available, including federal, state, and local revenue information.
- School board meeting schedule, minutes and agendas for upcoming meetings are available.
- Administrative and school board contact information is available.
- Academic performance information is available via a link to the School Report Card on the Virginia Department of Education website. Accreditation status, test scores, and Standards of Learning (SOL) information is also available on the division website.
- Section 3: Business Operations of the Montgomery County School Board Policy Manual includes information regarding audit requirements and Section 5: Personnel includes hiring and staff evaluation information.
- School board financial information is included in the Montgomery County Comprehensive Annual Financial Report.
- Vendor contract information is available on the Virginia state website.
- The website does not include the results of audits.
- The website does not include the results of background checks.
- Teacher contracts are not available on the school website. Teacher salary data is available on the Virginia Department of Education website.
- School board elections portal
- Montgomery County Public Schools elections (2013)
- List of school districts in Virginia
- Montgomery County Public Schools
- Montgomery County, Virginia
- Virginia Department of Education
- Official Website of the Commonwealth of Virginia
- Virginia Education Association
- United States Census Bureau, "Montgomery County, Virginia," accessed January 27, 2015
- Virginia Department of Elections, "Election Results," accessed September 17, 2013
- United States Census Bureau, "Frequently Asked Questions," accessed April 21, 2014
- Each column will add up to 100 percent after removing the "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin percentages, although rounding by the Census Bureau may make the total one- or two-tenths off from being exactly 100 percent. This Ballotpedia page provides a more detailed explanation of how the Census Bureau handles race and ethnicity in its surveys.
- About the Superintendent Accessed September 19, 2013
- School Board Members Accessed September 19, 2013
- Expenditure Summary FY 2012-13" accessed September 19, 2013
- Montgomery County Public Schools, "2014-15 Final Budget Summary," accessed December 16, 2014
- 2013-2014 Salary Scales" accessed September 20, 2013
- Schools Accessed September 20, 2013
- 'Virginia Department of Education', School Report Card Accountability Guide, June 14, 2010 (dead link)
- ‘Virginia Department of Education’, Montgomery County Public Schools, July 4, 2010
- ‘Montgomery County Public Schools’, School Operating Budget, July 4, 2010
- ‘Montgomery County Public Schools’, Annual School Board Meeting Dates, July 4, 2010 (dead link)
- ‘Montgomery County Public Schools’, School Board, July 3, 2010
- ‘Montgomery County Public Schools’, School Board Directory, July 4, 2010
- ‘Montgomery County Public Schools’, Assessments, July 4, 2010
- ‘Montgomery County Public Schools’, MCPS Policy Manual, July 4, 2010
- ‘Montgomery County’, 2009 Comprehensive Annual Financial Report, July 4, 2010 (dead link)
- 'Virginia Department of Education', Virginia State Contracts, June 10, 2010
- 'Virginia Department of Education', Education Workforce Data & Reports, June 10, 2010