|Board Member, Eden Prairie School Board, At-large|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 5, 2013|
|Other||Metropolitan State University|
Murshid Barud resides in Eden Prairie, Minnesota. Barud and his family emigrated to the United States from Syria due to the outbreak of civil war. He has studied at Metropolitan State University and is currently employed as an operations manager for Emerson Electric Co.
- See also: Eden Prairie Schools elections (2013)
|Eden Prairie Schools, At-large General Election, 4-year term, 2013|
|Nonpartisan||Ranee Jacobus Incumbent||23%||3,920|
|Source: Office of the Minnesota Secretary of State, "Results for Selected Contests in School District No. 272 - Eden Prairie," accessed December 18, 2013|
Barud reported $3,044.34 in contributions and $2,287.43 in expenditures to the district office, which left his campaign with $756.91 in cash on hand.
Murshid Barud received an endorsement for his campaign from the Service Employees International Union (SEIU) Local 284.
Barud's campaign website listed the following campaign themes for 2013:
1) Closing the achievement gap
Note: The above quote is from the candidate's website, which may include some typographical or spelling errors.
What was at stake?
There were three seats on the school board up for election on November 5, 2013. Incumbent board Chair Ranee Jacobus sought re-election, while fellow incumbents Suzanne Kutina and Chuck Mueller did not file for re-election. Jacobus competed with newcomers Holly Link, Elaine Larabee, Tim Laurie and Murshid Barud for the three seats.
About the district
- See also: Eden Prairie Schools, Minnesota
Eden Prairie outperformed the rest of Minnesota in terms of its median rates of average household income, poverty rate and higher education achievement in 2011. The median household income in Eden Prairie was $91,711 compared to $58,476 for the state of Minnesota. The poverty rate in Eden Prairie was 5.3% compared to 11.0% for the entire state. The United States Census Bureau also found that 60.5% of Eden Prairie residents aged 25 years and older attained a Bachelor's degree compared to 31.8% in Minnesota.
Note: The United States Census Bureau considers "Hispanic or Latino" to be a place of origin, not a race. Therefore, the Census allows citizens to report both their race and that they are from a "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin simultaneously. As a result, the percentages in each column of the racial demographics table will exceed 100 percent. Each column will add up to 100 percent after removing the "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin percentages.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Murshid + Barud + Eden + Prairie + Schools"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Barud for School Board, "About Murshid," accessed October 21, 2013
- LinkedIn, "Murshid Barud," accessed October 21, 2013
- Information received in an email to Ballotpedia from district election clerk Laurie Hemstock on February 13, 2014
- Barud for School Board, "Endorsements," accessed October 21, 2013
- Barud for School Board, "Welcome," accessed October 21, 2013
- United States Census Bureau, "Hennepin County, Minnesota," accessed October 14, 2013
- United States Census Bureau, "Eden Prairie (city), Minnesota," accessed October 14, 2013
- Office of the Minnesota Secretary of State, "Election Results and Statistics," accessed October 14, 2013
- United States Census Bureau, "Frequently Asked Questions," accessed April 21, 2014