Muscogee County School District, Georgia
|Transparency grading process|
Main article Evaluation of Georgia school district websites
- Tax rate information is provided on a press release concerning rate increase proposals.
- Budget is available with documentation.
- Information for board meetings, including schedule and minutes, agendas, and other documents, is available.
- Contact information for school board members and for administrative officials is provided.
- Comprehensive annual financial reports are available, and audits are included within.
- Purchasing archives provide contract and bid information for prior years, but current contracts are not available.
- Background checks are performed, but not available online.
- Purchasing and contract information is not up-to-date.
- Tax rate information is only available via press release.
- No information about open records requests is available.
- No information on student academic performance is available.
The duties of the school board include: formulating policy, providing funds for the operation and maintenance of the system, adopting courses of study, prescribing standards for operation and improvement of the schools, providing for planning, expansion and improvements of facilities, employing personnel, approving the budget, financial reports, and major expenditures, and appointing and evaluating the Superintendent.
|Board Chair - At-Large||Cathy Williams||2014|
|Chair Personnel - District 3||James Walker||2012|
|Chair Construction - District 1||Patricia Hugley Green||2012|
|Chair Finance - District 2||John Wells||2014|
|Chair Education - District 4||Naomi Buckner||2014|
|Board Vice-Chair/Chair Audit - District 5||Rob Varner||2012|
|Chair Policy - District 6||Mark Cantrell||2014|
|Chair Property - District 7||Norene Marvets||2012|
|Chair Discipline||Beth Harris||2014|
Georgia state law provides that school systems must offer contracts for the upcoming school year by April 15 of the current school year (OCGA 20-2-211 (b)). If an educator does not receive a written notice of non-renewal by April 15, then the contract is automatically renewed for the next school year, unless the educator notifies the local board of education in writing not later than May 1 of their intent not to accept employment for the following school year.
In June 2011, the MCSD board approved a one-year contract extension for superintendent Dr. Susan Andrews; the contract now expires in 2014.
|Dr. Susan Andrews||Superintendent/Secretary to the Board|
|Sharon Adams||Board Treasurer/MCSD Chief Financial Officer|
|Greg Ellington||Parliamentarian/Legal Counsel|
|Karen Jones||Executive Assistant to Board/Superintendent|
Collective bargaining is illegal since Georgia is a "right to work" state, so typical union activity is absent from the Muscogee County School District. Teachers are allowed to join professional organizations. In Georgia, those include:
- Professional Association of Georgia Educators
- Georgia Association of Educators
- Georgia Science Teachers Association
- English Teachers Association of Georgia
- Georgia Classical Association
- Georgia Association of Mathematics Teacher Educators
- National Education Association
Muscogee County School District publishes its annual budget on its website.
|Expenditures by Category|
|School Year||Staff Expenses||Student Services||Operational Expenses||Debt Service||Other||Budget Total|
|Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget|
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution has posted a complete database of results from the 2011 Criterion-Referenced Competency Tests (CRCT), tests administered in Georgia to students in grades 3 through 8 in April and May. The results for the Muscogee County School District can be found here.
Muscogee County School District offers public school choice to parents under the provisions of No Child Left Behind and HB 251..
- ↑ Press releases: Public Hearing on the Proposed Millage Rate for FY12
- ↑ Budget
- ↑ Meetings
- ↑ MCSD Board Members and Other Officials
- ↑ CAFR
- ↑ Purchasing Archives
- ↑ Georgia Association of Educators Need to Know
- ↑ Education Commission of the States Report 2002
- ↑ Muscogee County School District, "Financial Information," Accessed December 5, 2013
- ↑ Wall Street Journal Blog, May 17, 2011: "Georgia Supreme Court Deals Blow to Charter Schools"
- ↑ Georgia Charters, list by county
- ↑ No Child Left Behind