Nancy Adams Collins
|Nancy Adams Collins|
|Mississippi State Senate, District 6|
|2011 - present|
|January 3, 2016|
|Years in position||3|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 8, 2011|
|First elected||January 11, 2011|
|Next general||November 3, 2015|
|Birthday||November 10, 1947|
|Place of birth||Memphis, Tennessee|
|Profession||Nurse; Founder of Sanctuary Hospice House|
Collins' professional experience includes working a registered nurse, limited obstetrical ultrasonographer, and speech therapist; and establishing the Medical Clinic at Parkgate Pregnancy Center. She also founded Sanctuary Hospice House.
2011 special election
In a press release announcing her candidacy, Collins explained her decision to enter the race: "My reason for running comes from a life that has always embraced challenges, from an understanding of how difficult it can be raising a family, from what it is like to overcome obstacles, and from a deep desire to serve Mississippi,” Collins said. “I also know what it is to have been blessed – with advantages like a good education and the chance to learn a skill. I have been given a lot, and I want to give back."
Her website also highlighted the following campaign themes:
- Economic Growth.
- Local Jobs.
- Lower Taxes.
In the 2012-2013 legislative session, Collins served on these committees:
|Mississippi Committee Assignments, 2012|
|• Accountability, Efficiency, Transparency, Chair|
|• Education, Vice Chair|
|• PEER, Vice Chair|
In the 2010-2011 legislative session, Collins served on these committees:
|Mississippi Committee Assignments, 2010|
|• Business and Financial Institutions|
|• Environment Prot, Cons and Water Res|
|• Fees, Salaries and Administration|
|• Judiciary, Division B|
|• Universities and Colleges|
- See also: Mississippi State Senate elections, 2011
Collins won re-election to the Mississippi Senate District 6. She ran unopposed in the primary on August 2, 2011. Stacy Dale Scott ran unopposed in the Democratic primary. Collins defeated Scott in the general election on November 8, 2011.
|Mississippi State Senate, District 6 General Election, 2011|
|Republican||Nancy Adams Collins Incumbent||73.8%||13,622|
2011 special election
In 2011, Collins received $150,411 in campaign donations. The top contributors are listed below.
|Mississippi State Senate 2011 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Nancy Adams Collins's campaign in 2011|
|Mississippi Coalition For Progress||$4,000|
|Mississippi Association Of Realtors||$3,000|
|Mississippi Physicians Association||$3,000|
|Total Raised in 2011||$150,411|
|Total Votes received in 2011||13,622|
|Cost of each vote received||$11.04|
Legislative scorecards are used to evaluate elected public officials based on voting record. Some scorecards are created by political advocacy groups with a focus on specific issues, while others are developed by newspapers and are broad in scope. Scorecards are meant to be used as a tool for voters to have a quick picture of whether their views align with a particular legislator's record.
Because scorecards can be specific to particular issues or general to a state’s legislative term, for example, each report should be considered on its own merits. Each entity that publishes these reports uses different methodologies and definitions for the terms used.
Please see our writing guidelines if you would like to add results from an individual scorecard to this legislator's profile.
In 2014, the Legislature was in session from January 7 through April 2.
- Business and Industry Political Education Committee: Legislator "Business and Jobs" Report Card
- Legislators are scored on "economic growth, jobs and other broad job-related issues."
A long-time resident of Tupelo, Collins is a 2008 recipient of a Jefferson Award for Public Service (specifically a Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis Award for outstanding service benefiting a local community) for her work in founding the Sanctuary Hospice House. In 2008, she also received the Governor's Initiative for Volunteer Excellence Award. Collins and her husband, Jim, have four children and five grandchildren.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term Nancy + Adams + Collins + Mississippi + Senate
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Mississippi State Legislature
- Mississippi State Senate
- Senate Committees
- Joint Committees
- Mississippi state legislative districts
- Office website
- Profile from Open States
- Campaign Facebook page
- Legislative profile on Project Vote Smart
- Biography on Project Vote Smart
- Campaign Site, "Collins Announces Candidacy for Mississippi Senate," November 22, 2010
- Mississippi Department of State, 2011 Official State Senate Candidate List
- Mississippi Secretary of State, "Jan 11 special election qualifying list," updated December 10, 2010
- Clarion-Ledger, "Runoff for Mississippi highway post set" January 12, 2011
- Laurel Leader-Call, "Republican Collins sworn in to Mississippi Senate" January 15, 2011
- Follow the Money, "2011 Campaign Contributions," accessed May 15, 2014
- StateScape, "Session Schedules," accessed July 29, 2014
- Business and Industry Political Education Committee, "Legislator 'Business & Jobs' Report Card - 2014 Legislative Session," accessed August 30, 2014