North Carolina State Senate, District 32
Jones' website highlighted the following issues:
- Excerpt: "It’s time we get back to common sense approaches to government. It’s time we get government out of the way and let businesses flourish and create jobs."
- Excerpt: "any economic recovery must include tax cuts so that costs can drop, and businesses can start buying labor again. And in any future budget shortfalls, raising taxes should not only be the last option, but made very difficult to accomplish to ensure it is the absolute last resort."
- "Transitioning the budget process to a more open, performance-based process whereby each program is examined for its usefulness and effectiveness."
- "Requiring Budget Bills to be posted a minimum of 72 hours before the first vote can be held."
- "Amending the NC Constitution to limit budget growth to the combined inflation and population growth rates."
- "Amending the NC Constitution to require a public vote before taking on any debt."
- "Changing to a weighted student funding model whereby funds are applied to students based on their academic needs, and these funds follow the student to whatever public school they enter."
- "Requiring the majority of funds to be allocated at the school level, empowering principals to provide the services needed for their specific population."
- "Lifting the Charter School cap to take the pressure off traditional schools, and allowing the over 7000 children on waiting lists to finally enter the school of their choosing."
- "Providing a tax credit for parents who enroll their children in non-public schools."
- Excerpt: "We must restructure the Medicaid program if it is to remain a viable alternative for those who need it."
- Government Reform
- Excerpt: "But creating transparency is not enough. There are many places where government is bloated, and needs to be reformed. Sessions in most years last entirely too long. The longer the General Assembly stays in session, the more money it costs us."
- Illegal Immigration
- "Requiring proof of legal residency when applying for any government service."
- "Require employers to obtain proof of legal residency for every employee and bar the state from doing business with anyone caught hiring illegal workers."
- "Strengthen laws and toughen penalties on those who create and use fake IDs."
- "Require proof of legal status before receiving in-state tuition."
- Property Rights
- "Changing current annexation laws to restrict municipalities to annexing areas that need city services, and requiring those municipalities to incur the full cost of adding those services."
- "Requiring a vote by the citizens being annexed if the municipality starts the process."
- "Amending the NC Constitution to better restrict the seizure of land through eminent domain."
Jones ran in the 2010 election for North Carolina State Senate District 32. Jones defeated Brian Miller in the Republican primary election on May 4, 2010, and was defeated by Linda Garrou (D) in the general election on November 2, 2010.
|North Carolina State Senate Republican Primary, District 32 (2010)|