National Conference of Democratic Mayors
The stated mission of the National Conference of Democratic Mayors is:
- Serve as the structure through which mayors who subscribe to the principles of the Democratic Party can communicate and promote the goals of the party as they relate to cities;
- Act as a liaison between the nation’s Democratic mayors, the Democratic National Committee and other Democratic organizations; and
- Create a political network of mayors to affect local, state and national elections and to aid in the re-election of incumbent mayors who are members of the Democratic Party.
- At the Democratic National Convention, Democratic mayors participated in NCDM activities and NCDM president Mayor David Cicilline spoke about the launch of a campaign to elect Barack Obama.
- NCDM established the Mayors Alliance for Progress (MAP), which helps facilitate the sharing of ideas between organized labor and the private sector. Membership is $7,500 annually.
- The NCDM MAP carries out political activities on behalf of candidates and the Democratic Party, though campaign funds are separated from general funds. As noted on their website, "No portion of the NCDM Mayors Alliance funds are used to support the election of state or local political candidates. The NCDM does not operate as a political committee at the federal level or in any state. The NCDM PAC does make political contributions but it is a separately funded account. NCDM Mayors Alliance contributions are not tax deductible."
- Unions are among the NCDM's largest supporters. In 2008, the NCDM received $50,000 from the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers, $50,000 from the Laborers Political League Education Fund and $30,000 from the Service Employees International Union (SEIU). According to the Education Intelligence Agency, the NCDM received $7,500 from the National Education Association, the largest U.S. teachers union.
- In 2008, the NCDM reported $335,683 in total expenditures for various political causes.
- IRS Documentation for 527 status
- National Conference of Democratic Mayors on Open Secrets
- National Conference of Democratic Mayors on the "Center for Public Integrity"
- About the National Conference for Democratic Mayors
- Democratic Mayors Mobilize at Democratic National Convention
- Mayors Alliance for Progress
- Natl Conference of Democratic Mayors Donors
- Latest National Education Association Advocacy Contributions, Grants and Payments
- Open Secrets, "527 Committees identified as Leadership PACs"
Lists of taxpayer-funded lobbying associations
Alabama • Alaska • Arizona • Arkansas • California • Colorado • Connecticut • Delaware • Florida • Georgia • Hawaii • Idaho • Illinois • Indiana • Iowa • Kansas • Kentucky • Louisiana • Maine • Maryland • Massachusetts • Michigan • Minnesota • Mississippi • Missouri • Montana • Nebraska • Nevada • New Hampshire • New Jersey • New Mexico • New York • North Carolina • North Dakota • Ohio • Oklahoma • Oregon • Pennsylvania • Rhode Island • South Carolina • South Dakota • Tennessee • Texas • Utah • Vermont • Virginia • Washington • West Virginia • Wisconsin • Wyoming •