National Freedom of Information Coalition
The National Freedom of Information Coalition (NFOIC) is a national non-profit based in Missouri. It describes itself as protecting "the public's right to oversee its government." It was founded in 1989 in Dallas, Texas as the National Freedom of Information Assembly, and its first board was appointed in Washington at the organization's founding congress in January, 1992.
NFOIC's works toward its goal by:
- Starting up and support citizen-driven state FOI and First Amendment organizations.
- Foster the exchange of information through networking and its annual conference.
- Providing a collective voice for state FOI groups at the national level.
- Assisting fundraising efforts of state organizations, and
- Exploring issues and making recommendations for individual state actions or collective national action.