Nebraska 2008 ballot measures
In a year that started with four initiative petitions circulating, only one, the Nebraska Civil Rights Initiative (NCRI) was able to collect enough signatures to be placed on the November 4, 2008 ballot.
- Through 2006, a total of sixty-threecitizen-initiated ballot propositions had appeared on Nebraska's ballot since the beginning of the process in 1914.
- With one initiative on the 2008 ballot, the historical total of Nebraska initiatives through the 2008 elections comes to sixty-four.
- The passage earlier in 2008 of Nebraska Legislative Bill 39 overriding a gubernatorial veto reduces the likelihood that initiatives will appear on Nebraska ballots in years to come.
On the ballot
|Amendment 1||Administration of government||Permits certain cities to invest public endowment funds in the same manner as would a prudent investor.|
|Initiative 424||Affirmative action||Prohibits race- and gender-based admissions and hiring decisions.|
|Amendment 1||Administration of government||Would allow funds for municipal economic development to come from sources other than general taxes, if local voters approve|
Initiatives/referenda that did not make 2008 ballot
|CISS||Use Public Power Initiative||Business regulation||Eliminate ban preventing public power companies from offering telecommunications technology.|
|CISS||No Annexation Without a Vote||Administration of government||Prevent municipalities from annexing a city or village without approval from the voters in the city or village to be annexed.|
|CISS||Detachment and Reestablishment Initiative||Administration of government||Authorizes a municipality which had been annexed in the past 5 years to seek detachment from the annexing entity.|
|VR||State Fair Referendum||-||Challenging law moving state fair from Lincoln to Grand Island|
- 2008 ballot measures
- List of Nebraska ballot measures
- Nebraska 2008 citizen initiatives
- Laws governing the initiative process in Nebraska
- Nebraska Secretary of State, Elections
- Nebraska SOS winter newsletter (see pg.4)
- 2008 Nebraska Elections Calendar on SOS website
- Lincoln Journal Star article on 2008 initiative season
State of Nebraska
List of Nebraska ballot measures | Local measures | School bond issues | Ballot measure laws | Initiative laws | History of I&R | History of direct democracy | Campaign Finance Requirements | Recall process |
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | Auditor of Public Accounts | Commissioner of Education | Director of Insurance | Director of Agriculture | Director of Natural Resources | Commissioner of Labor | Nebraska Public Service Commission |