Nebraska Casino Gambling Amendment (2014)
|Not on Ballot|
| This measure did not or |
will not appear on a ballot
The Nebraska Casino Gambling Amendment will not appear on the November 4, 2014 ballot in Nebraska as a legislatively-referred constitutional amendment. The measure would have permitted the legislature to authorize, regulate and tax casino gambling operations and provide for casino location approval via elections for those in affected cities, towns and counties.
Text of measure
The ballot question would have read as:
|“||A constitutional amendment to define casino gaming, to permit the Legislature to provide for the authorization, operation, regulation, and taxation of casino gaming, to provide for approval of casino locations by voters in the affected cities, villages, or counties, and to provide for the distribution of proceeds of taxation of casino gaming.
[ ] For
The measure was sponsored in the legislature by Sen. Russ Karpisek (I-32).
- Ho-Chunk Inc.
- Sen. Russ Karpisek (I-32) referring to the potential fiscal and state revenue benefits of casinos, said, "Everybody’s talking about (high) property taxes, they’re talking about K-12 education, and we need more money for state parks. There’s a way to solve that."
- Supporters argue that Nebraska is losing revenue from residents and tourists who travel to Iowa and South Dakota to gamble at casinos.
- Gambling With the Good Life
Path to the ballot
- See also: Amending the Nebraska Constitution
The Nebraska State Senate needed to pass the legislation by a 60% vote in order to place the proposed amendment on the ballot. The Senate's General Affairs Committee decided not to take action on the measure. Therefore, the measure did not appear on the general election ballot in November 2014.
- Nebraska Legislature, "LR416CA," accessed January 22, 2014
- Nebraska Legislature, "Legislative Resolution 416CA," accessed January 21, 2014
- Note: This text is quoted verbatim from the original source. Any inconsistencies are attributed to the original source.
- Sioux City Journal, "Ho-Chunk pushes for casino gambling in Nebraska," January 25, 2014
- The Omaha World Herald, "Nebraska senator won't fold, introduces proposal to legalize casino gambling ... again," January 21, 2014
- KOTA, "State lawmaker rolling the dice on constitutional amendment to legalize casino gambling in Nebraska," January 21, 2014
- Gambling With the Good Life
- The Republic, "Proposed ballot measure to allow Nebraska casino gambling will stay in committee this year," February 27, 2014
State of Nebraska
List of Nebraska ballot measures | Local measures | School bond issues | Ballot measure laws | Initiative laws | History of I&R | History of direct democracy | Campaign Finance Requirements | Recall process |
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | Auditor of Public Accounts | Commissioner of Education | Director of Insurance | Director of Agriculture | Director of Natural Resources | Commissioner of Labor | Nebraska Public Service Commission |