Nebraska Director of Natural Resources
|Nebraska Director of Natural Resources|
|Office website:||Official Link|
|2012-13 FY Budget:||$16,355,532|
|Authority:||Nebraska Revised Statutes 61-205|
|Selection Method:||Appointed by Governor|
|Other Nebraska Executive Offices|
|Governor • Lieutenant Governor • Secretary of State • Attorney General • Treasurer • Auditor • Commissioner of Education • Agriculture Director • Insurance Director • Natural Resources Director • Labor Commissioner • Public Service Commission|
The director serves as head of the Department of Natural Resources, which is responsible for the areas of groundwater, surface water, floodplain management, dam safety, natural resources planning and integrated water management.
The Department of Natural Resources is established in the Nebraska Revised Statutes.
Nebraska Revised Statutes 61-205:
|The Department of Natural Resources shall exercise the powers and perform the duties assigned to the Department of Water Resources prior to July 1, 2000. The Department of Natural Resources shall exercise the powers and perform the duties assigned to the Nebraska Natural Resources Commission prior to July 1, 2000, except as otherwise specifically provided.|
Qualifications for the director of natural resources are outlined in the revised state statutes. The director has to:
- Be qualified by training and business experience to manage and supervise the Department of Natural Resources
- Be a professional engineer as provided in the Engineers and Architects Regulation Act
- Have had at least five years' experience in a position of responsibility in irrigation work.
The director oversees the Department of Natural Resources. The duties of the department as outlined in the revised state statutes are:
- Offer assistance as appropriate to the supervisors or directors of any subdivision of government with responsibilities in the area of natural resources conservation, development, and use in the carrying out of any of their powers and programs
- Keep the supervisors or directors of each such subdivision informed of the activities and experience of all other such subdivisions and facilitate cooperation and an interchange of advice and experience between such subdivisions
- Coordinate the programs of such subdivisions so far as this may be done by advice and consultation
- Secure the cooperation and assistance of the United States, any of its agencies, and agencies of this state in the work of such subdivisions
- Disseminate information throughout the state concerning the activities and programs of such subdivisions
- Plan, develop, and promote the implementation of a comprehensive program of resource development, conservation, and utilization for the soil and water resources of this state in cooperation with other local, state, and federal agencies and organizations
- When necessary for the proper administration of the functions of the department, rent or lease space outside the State Capitol
- Assist such local governmental organizations as villages, cities, counties, and natural resources districts in securing, planning, and developing information on flood plains to be used in developing regulations and ordinances on proper use of these flood plains.
Note: Ballotpedia's state executive officials project researches state official websites for information that describes the divisions (if any exist) of a state executive office. That information for the Nebraska Director of Natural Resources has not yet been added. After extensive research we were unable to identify any relevant information on state official websites. If you have any additional information about this office for inclusion on this section and/or page, please email us.
The budget for the Department of Natural Resources in Fiscal Year 2012-13 was $16,355,532.
- See also: Compensation of state executive officers
In 2013, the director was paid an estimated $113,882.
Note: Ballotpedia's state executive officials project researches state official websites for chronological lists of historical officeholders. That information for the Nebraska Director of Natural Resources has not yet been added because the information was unavailable on the relevant state official websites, or we are currently in the process of formatting the list for this office. If you have any additional information about this office for inclusion on this section and/or page, please email us.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term Nebraska + Director + of + Natural + Resources
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
The Nebraska Department of Natural Resources
301 Centennial Mall South
Lincoln, Nebraska 68509-4676
- Nebraska Department of Natural Resources, "About us," accessed October 8, 2011
- Official Nebraska Governor's Website Gov. Heineman Names Brian Dunnigan to Head Department of Natural Resources, December 9, 2008
- Nebraska Revised Statutes, "61-201 Director of natural resources; qualifications," accessed December 22, 2012
- Revised Nebraska Statutes, "61-206 Department of Natural Resources," accessed December 22, 2012
- Nevada Legislative Counsel Bureau, "2011-2013 General Fund Appropriations Summary," accessed April 17, 2013
- Council of State Governments, Table 4.11 Selected State Administrative Officials: Annual Salaries, accessed January 31, 2014