Nebraska Hunting and Fishing Amendment, Amendment 2 (2012)
- See also: 2012 ballot measure election results
|Nebraska Amendment 2|
- Official results are from the Nebraska Secretary of State.
Text of measure
The official text of the measure as it appeared on the ballot:
A constitutional amendment to establish the right to hunt, to fish, and to harvest wildlife and to state that public hunting, fishing, and harvesting of wildlife shall be a preferred means of managing and controlling wildlife.
Proposal sponsor Sen. Pete Pirsch argued that the amendment was necessary to protect hunting rights. According to him, recent changing attitudes towards hunting put it at risk of being challenged. "Since the founding of our state — and for that matter, for as long as humans have been here — hunting, fishing and harvesting wildlife have been fundamental freedoms that people have engaged in. These activities are critical to our state's economy," said Pirsch.
- American Fisheries Society
- Izaak Walton League
- Ducks Unlimited
- Nebraska Council of Sportsmen's Club
- Nebraska Farm Bureau Federation
- Nebraska Firearms Owners Association
- Nebraska Game and Parks Commission
- Nebraska League of Conservation Voters
- Nebraska Sportsmen's Foundation
- Nebraska Wildlife Federation
Sen. Amanda McGill said, "I don't think anyone in this body wants to get rid of hunting and fishing. Does this really rise to the level of needing a constitutional amendment?" According to reports, McGill countered the proposal with an amendment to guarantee the right to swim, farm, ranch, drive, boat, golf, nap and watch Husker football.
Path to the ballot
- See also: Amending the Nebraska State Constitution
In order to qualify a proposed measure to the statewide ballot, 60% of the members of the Nebraska State Legislature must vote in approval.
On April 18, 2011, the measure passed its first hearing when the legislature voted 32-6 to enroll the proposal. On Tuesday, March 27, 2012, the measure passed its final hearing with a 41-3 vote of approval, thereby passing on to the ballot.
- Associated Press,"More states make right to hunt bulletproof even as supporters say bagging deer not a target," September 23, 2011
- Omaha World-Herald,"Bill would lock in hunting rights," March 31, 2011
- Associated Press "Nebraska hunting amendment to appear on ballot," March 27, 2012
- Nebraska Legislature,"LR40CA full text," retrieved April 1, 2011
- The Republic,"Nebraska lawmakers debate a constitutional amendment to guarantee hunting, fishing rights," March 31, 2011
- Omaha.com "Should right to hunt be guaranteed in Nebraska Constitution? Voters to decide," September 26, 2012
- Omaha World-Herald,"‘Right to hunt' bill debated," April 6, 2011
- WOWT.com,"Should Nebraska's Constitution Protect Right To Hunt?," April 5, 2011
- Associated Press,"Proposal to place hunting, fishing as constitutional rights advances in Neb. Legislature," April 18, 2011
- Nebraska StatePaper.com,"Hunting RIghts Could Be Added To Nebraska Constitution," April 19, 2011