For status updates, visit lucyburns.org.
Ballotpedia's coverage of elections held on March 3, 2015, was limited. Select races were covered live, and all results will be added once the merger is complete.
Nebraska Municipal Economic Development, Amendment 1 (2008)
The proposition was referred to the ballot by the Nebraska State Legislature via Legislative Resolution 229CA.
|Nebraska Municipal Economic Development Amendment|
Official results via: Nebraska Blue Book 2008-09 (p.264)
Currently, the constitution limits the source of revenue that cities and villages are allowed to use for economic development projects to funds that are raised from general taxes.
If the measure passed, it would have:
- Alter Article XIII, Section 2 of the Nebraska Constitution, which pertains to municipal economic development.
- Allow cities and villages to use different sources of revenue to fund economic development projects other than funds raised from general taxes, such as surplus utility funds.
- Stipulate that voters in the city or village approve any proposals for economic development.
- Nebraska State Senator Vickie D. McDonald (District 41)
A Taxpayer's Perspective from the National Taxpayers Union
The Nebraska Municipal Economic Development Amendment would have enabled cities and villages, subject to voter approval, to draw from additional sources of funding (whether local, state or federal) for local economic development projects. Currently, Nebraska cities and villages may only use funds from local property and sales taxes to support certain local economic development programs. Despite the voter approval safeguard, this proposal could still encourage additional government spending liabilities.
- List of Nebraska ballot measures
- Nebraska 2008 ballot measures
- 2008 ballot measures
- Nebraska Initiative and Referendum Law
- Campaign finance requirements for Nebraska ballot measures
- Nebraska signature requirements
- Petition drive deadlines in 2008
- Nebraska Blue Book 2008-09
- Nebraska Secretary of the State Unofficial 2008 Election Results
- Text of the proposed amendment
- Amendment 1: Voters deny flexibility in use of funds
State of Nebraska
List of Nebraska ballot measures | Local measures | School bond issues | Ballot measure laws | Initiative laws | History of I&R | History of direct democracy | Campaign Finance Requirements | Recall process |
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | Auditor of Public Accounts | Commissioner of Education | Director of Insurance | Director of Agriculture | Director of Natural Resources | Commissioner of Labor | Nebraska Public Service Commission |