Nebraska Voter ID Amendment (2014)
|Not on Ballot|
| This measure did not or |
will not appear on a ballot
- See also: State by State Voter ID Laws
All states are required to meet the minimum voter identification requires set by the Help America Vote Act (HAVA) of 2002, which requires photo ID for voters who registered by mail and did not provide identification. As of 2014, 31 states had laws in effect requiring voters to show some form of identification at the polls. North Carolina enacted a voter ID law in 2013 set to take effect in 2016. According to the National Conference of State Legislatures,
|“||Proponents see increasing requirements for identification as a way to prevent in-person voter impersonation and increase public confidence in the election process. Opponents say there is little fraud of this kind, and the burden on voters unduly restricts the right to vote and imposes unnecessary costs and administrative burdens on elections administrators.||”|
—National Conference of State Legislatures, 
Nebraska law at the time of this Voter ID Amendment proposal only required photo ID for first-time voters who registered by mail.
- Radio Free Nebraska, sponsorCite error: Closing
- The law provides many ways to prove identity and multiple forms of approved photo ID to use at the poll. Additionally, over 95 percent of voters have a driver's license.
Path to the ballot
In order to qualify the proposed constitutional amendment, supporters were required to collect valid signatures totaling a minimum of 10 percent of registered voters by July 4, 2014. The exact number was based on the number of registered voters on that day. This amounted to at least 125,000 valid signatures. In addition, signatures needed to be collected from five percent of the registered voters in 38 of the 93 Nebraska counties.
- 2014 ballot measures
- Nebraska 2014 ballot measures
- Laws governing the initiative process in Nebraska
- Nebraska Secretary of State, "Initiative Petition: Voter ID," accessed May 28, 2014
- Note: This text is quoted verbatim from the original source. Any inconsistencies are attributed to the original source.
- NCSL, "VOTER IDENTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS," April 30, 2014
- Nebraska Secretary of State Website, "Voter Information Frequently Asked Questions," accessed June 11, 2014
<ref>tag; no text was provided for refs named
Cite error: Invalid
- Nebraska Secretary of State, "HOW TO USE THE INITIATIVE AND REFERENDUM PROCESS IN NEBRASKA," June 2013
- Norfolk Daily News, "Medical marijuana petition circulating in Nebraska," February 3, 2014
- 1011, "Signatures For Wage Initiative Turned in to Secretary of State's Office," July 3, 2014
State of Nebraska
List of Nebraska ballot measures | Local measures | School bond issues | Ballot measure laws | Initiative laws | History of I&R | History of direct democracy | Campaign Finance Requirements | Recall process |
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | Auditor of Public Accounts | Commissioner of Education | Director of Insurance | Director of Agriculture | Director of Natural Resources | Commissioner of Labor | Nebraska Public Service Commission |