Nebraska elections, 2013
Nebraska election information for 2013 is listed below.
|On the 2013 ballot|
Exceptions include special elections.
Find current election news and links here.
Voting in Nebraska
- See also: Voting in Nebraska
Important voting information
- Nebraska uses a closed primary system, meaning voters must register with a party to be able to vote in their primary election.
- Registration forms returned in person must be received by the second Friday preceding the election. Applications returned by mail must be mailed and postmarked by the 3rd Friday preceding the election (18 days prior).
- As of December 2013, Nebraska is one of the 37 states that have not implemented online voter registration.
- See also: Absentee voting by state
For information about eligibility, deadlines, military and overseas voting and updates to the voting laws in Nebraska, please visit our absentee voting by state page.
- See also: Early voting
Nebraska is one of 33 states that has early voting with no specific requirements as to who can vote early. Early voting begins 35 days before an election and ends on the day prior to election day. The average number of days prior to an election that voters can cast an early ballot is 21 days in states with a definitive starting date.
Elections Performance Index
Nebraska ranked 40th out of the 50 states and District of Columbia in the Pew Charitable Trusts' Elections Performance Index (EPI), based on the 2010 elections. The EPI examines election administration performance assigning an average percentage score based on 17 indicators of election performance. The indicators were chosen within the framework of determining the convenience and integrity of each of the three administrative phases of an election: registration, voting and counting. Nebraska received an overall score of 58%.
State of Nebraska
List of Nebraska ballot measures | Local measures | School bond issues | Ballot measure laws | Initiative laws | History of I&R | History of direct democracy | Campaign Finance Requirements | Recall process |
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | Auditor of Public Accounts | Commissioner of Education | Director of Insurance | Director of Agriculture | Director of Natural Resources | Commissioner of Labor | Nebraska Public Service Commission |