Nevada Commissioner of Insurance
|Nevada Commissioner of Insurance|
|Office website:||Official Link|
|Selection Method:||Appointed by the Director of the Nevada Department of Business and Industry|
|Assumed office:||October 24, 2011|
|Other Nevada Executive Offices|
|Governor • Lieutenant Governor • Secretary of State • Attorney General • Treasurer • Controller • Superintendent of Public Instruction • Agriculture Director • Insurance Commissioner • Director of Conservation and Natural Resources • Labor Commissioner • Public Utilities Commission • Employment, Training and Rehabilitation|
The Commissioner oversees the Division of Insurance, which is under the Department of Business and Industry. The stated mission of the Insurance Division is "To protect the rights of Nevada consumers in their experiences with the insurance industry and to ensure the financial solvency of insurers."
Chapter 232, Section 820:
| The Commissioner of Insurance is the head of the Division and:
In order to serve as Commissioner, one must meet the following qualifications:
- 1. "The Commissioner shall have had at least 2 years’ responsible experience in the field of insurance, including, but not limited to, one or more of the following endeavors: Administration, sales, law, counseling and education."
- 2. "The Commissioner shall not be a stockholder in or directly or indirectly connected with the management or affairs of any insurance company or insurance brokerage or agency."
The Commissioner of Insurance is appointed by the director of the Nevada Department of Business and Industry, who is appointed by the governor.
In the event of a vacancy, the Director of the Department of Business and Industry designates an acting Commissioner.
The insurance division is charged with protecting the rights of the consumer and the public’s interest in dealing with the insurance industry and is responsible for regulating the insurance industry. It sets ethical and financial standards for insurance companies and review rates. The division responds to and assists consumers. It reviews insurance policies to ensure compliance with Nevada insurance laws and regulations. The division licenses insurance companies, insurance agents and producers. It makes sure insurance companies are solvent and have the ability to pay claims. It also makes sure companies follow through on the promises made to consumers through insurance policies. The division also reviews programs operated by self-insured employers for worker’s compensation.
Note: Ballotpedia's state executive officials project researches state official websites for information that describes the divisions (if any exist) of a state executive office. That information for the Nevada Commissioner of Insurance has not yet been added. After extensive research we were unable to identify any relevant information on state official websites. If you have any additional information about this office for inclusion on this section and/or page, please email us.
- See also: Compensation of state executive officers
In 2013, the commissioner was paid an estimated $114,104.
Note: Ballotpedia's state executive officials project researches state official websites for chronological lists of historical officeholders. That information for the Nevada Commissioner of Insurance has not yet been added because the information was unavailable on the relevant state official websites, or we are currently in the process of formatting the list for this office. If you have any additional information about this office for inclusion on this section and/or page, please email us.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term Nevada + Commissioner + of + Insurance
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
Carson City office:
1818 E. College Pkwy., Suite 103
Carson City, NV 89706
Phone: (775) 687-0700
Fax: (775) 687-0787
Las Vegas office:
2501 East Sahara Ave., Suite 302
Las Vegas, NV 89104
Phone: (702) 486-4009
Fax: (702) 486-4007
- Nevada Division of Insurance, "About Us," accessed October 16, 2011
- Nevada Department of Insurance, "Commissioner Kipper" accessed November 1, 2012
- Nevada Revised Statutes, "Chapter 232, Section 820 Commissioner of Insurance: Appointment; classification," accessed July 31,2013
- Nevada Revised Statutes, " Qualifications," accessed March 16, 2013
- Nevada Revised Statutes, "NRS 679B.080 Designation of acting Commissioner; powers and duties of deputies; restrictions on other employment of deputies" accessed March 16, 2013
- Nevada Division of Insurance, "About Us" accessed December 28, 2012
- Council of State Governments, Table 4.11 Selected State Administrative Officials: Annual Salaries, accessed January 31, 2014
- The Council of State Governments, "The Book of States 2010 Table 4.11," accessed June 22, 2011