Nevada Director of Conservation and Natural Resources
|Nevada Director of Conservation and Natural Resources|
|Office website:||Official Link|
|2012-2013 FY Budget:||$22,307,389|
|Authority:||Nevada Revised Statutes, Section 232.030|
|Selection Method:||Appointed by Governor|
|Assumed office:||May 1, 2010|
|Other Nevada Executive Offices|
|Governor • Lieutenant Governor • Secretary of State • Attorney General • Treasurer • Controller • Superintendent of Public Instruction • Agriculture Director • Insurance Commissioner • Director of Conservation and Natural Resources • Labor Commissioner • Public Utilities Commission • Employment, Training and Rehabilitation|
The Director oversees the Department of Conservation and Natural Resources who "conserves, protects, manages, and enhances the state’s natural resources in order to provide the highest quality of life for Nevada’s citizens and visitors."
The Director of the Department of Conservation and Natural Resources is established in Section 232.030 of the Nevada Revised Statutes.
Per the Nevada Revised Statutes, the Director must meet the following qualifications:
- 1. "The Director shall be selected with special reference to his or her training, experience, capacity and interest in conservation or natural resources, or both."
- 2. The Director shall have the demonstrated ability to administer a major public agency in the field of conservation and natural resources having diverse functional divisions with related goals.
The Director of Conservation and Natural Resources is appointed by and is responsible to the governor.
Note: Ballotpedia's state executive officials project researches the constitutional or statutory text that details the process of filling vacancies for a state executive office. That information for the Nevada Director of Conservation and Natural Resources has not yet been added. After extensive research we were unable to identify any relevant information on state official websites. If you have any additional information about this office for inclusion on this section and/or page, please email us.
- See Energy policy in Nevada for information on the state's energy portfolio and goals.
The Nevada Revised Statutes outlines the following duties of the Director:
- (a) Establish departmental goals, objectives and priorities.
- (b) Approve divisional goals, objectives and priorities.
- (c) Approve divisional and departmental budgets, legislative proposals, contracts, agreements and applications for federal assistance.
- (d) Coordinate divisional programs within the Department and coordinate departmental and divisional programs with other departments and with other levels of government.
- (e) Appoint the executive head of each division within the Department.
- (f) Delegate to the executive heads of the divisions such authorities and responsibilities as the Director deems necessary for the efficient conduct of the business of the Department.
- (g) Establish new administrative units or programs which may be necessary for the efficient operation of the Department, and alter departmental organization and reassign responsibilities as the Director deems appropriate.
- (h) From time to time adopt, amend and rescind such regulations as the Director deems necessary for the administration of the Department.
- (i) Consider input from members of the public, industries and representatives of organizations, associations, groups or other entities concerned with matters of conservation and natural resources on the following:
- (1) Matters relating to the establishment and maintenance of an adequate policy of forest and watershed protection;
- (2) Matters relating to the park and recreational policy of the State;
- (3) The use of land within this State which is under the jurisdiction of the Federal Government;
- (4) The effect of state and federal agencies’ programs and regulations on the users of land under the jurisdiction of the Federal Government, and on the problems of those users of land; and
- (5) The preservation, protection and use of this State’s natural resources.
The Department consists of the following divisions, commissions, and programs:
- The Division of Water Resources.
- The Division of State Lands.
- The Division of Forestry.
- The Division of State Parks.
- The Division of Environmental Protection.
- The Office of Historic Preservation.
- Such other divisions as the Director may from time to time establish.
- The State Environmental Commission
- The State Conservation Commission
- The Conservation Districts Program
- The Nevada Natural Heritage Program
- The Board to Review Claims
- See also: Nevada state budget and finances
The Department of Conservation and Natural Resources's budget for 2012-2013 was $22,307,389.
- See also: Compensation of state executive officers
In 2013, the director was paid an estimated $124,528.
Note: Ballotpedia's state executive officials project researches state official websites for chronological lists of historical officeholders. That information for the Nevada Director of Conservation and Natural Resources has not yet been added because the information was unavailable on the relevant state official websites, or we are currently in the process of formatting the list for this office. If you have any additional information about this office for inclusion on this section and/or page, please email us.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term Nevada + Director + of + Conservation + and + Natural Resources
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Nevada Department of Conservation and Natural Resources, "About Us," accessed October 16, 2011
- Nevada Revised Statutes, "NRS 232.030 Director: Creation of position," accessed March 16, 2013
- Nevada Revised Statutes, "NRS 232.040 Director: Selection; qualifications," accessed March 16, 2013
- Nevada Revised Statutes, "NRS 232.070 Director: Powers and duties," accessed March 16, 2013
- Nevada Revised Statutes, "NRS 232.090 Composition of Department," accessed March 16, 2013
- Nevada Electronic Legislative Information System, "2011 76th Regular Session Assembly Bill No.580," 8-9, accessed July 5, 2013
- Council of State Governments, "SELECTED STATE ADMINISTRATIVE OFFICIALS: ANNUAL SALARIES," accessed December 3, 2014
- Council of State Governments, Table 4.11 Selected State Administrative Officials: Annual Salaries," accessed January 31, 2014
- The Council of State Governments, "The Book of States 2010 Table 4.11," accessed June 22, 2011