Nevada Medical Marijuana Act, Question 9 (1998)
Question 9 was again voted upon and approved by voters in 2000, thereby officially taking effect.
|Question 9 (Medical Marijuana)|
Official results via: Nevada Legislative Counsel Bureau - Research Division
Text of measure
The language that appeared on the ballot:
- Shall the Nevada Constitution be amended to allow the possession and use of a plant of the genus Cannabis (marijuana) for the treatment or alleviation of certain illnesses upon advice of a physician, to require parental consent for such use by minors, and to authorize appropriate methods of supply to patients authorized to use it?
The language that appeared in the voter's guide:
- The proposed amendment to the Nevada Constitution would add a new section providing for the use by a patient, upon advice of his or her physician, of a plant of the genus Cannabis for the treatment or alleviation of cancer; glaucoma; acquired immunodeficiency syndrome; severe, persistent nausea or cachexia resulting from these or other chronic or debilitating medical conditions; epilepsy and other disorders characterized by seizure; multiple sclerosis and other disorders characterized by muscle spasticity; or other conditions approved by law for such treatment. The amendment would restrict the medical use by a minor by requiring diagnosis and a written authorization by a physician, parental consent, and parental control of the acquisition and use of the plant.
- The proposed amendment would provide for a confidential registry of patients authorized to use the plant which would be available only to law enforcement officials; would authorize appropriate methods of supply to authorized patients; and would protect plant and property related to the plant’s use from forfeiture except on conviction or a guilty or nolo contendere plea of unauthorized possession or use.
- The proposal does not authorize the use or possession of the plant for use other than medical nor for medical use in a public place. The amendment does not require reimbursement by an insurer for medical use nor accommodation of medical use in a place of employment.
- Nevada 1998 ballot measures
- List of Nevada ballot measures
- 1998 ballot measures
- Nevada Medical Marijuana Act, Question 9 (2000)
- Nevada marijuana supporters aim for legalization in 2012