Nevada Mining Tax Cap Amendment (2012)
|Not on Ballot|
| This measure did not or |
will not appear on a ballot
The following is information obtained from the supporting side of the measure:
- According to Monte Miller, a Las Vegas businessman who was leading the ballot initiative effort: “This initiative is not a tax increase. It simply raises the cap on mining taxes and leaves the issue on whether to raise the tax in the hands of the Nevada Legislature and governor.”
- See also: List of ballot measure lawsuits in 2012
Nevada Mining Association v. Nevadans United for Fair Mining Taxes
The Nevada Mining Association filed a lawsuit in state court in Carson City during late-February 2012, attempting to block the measure from the ballot. The association stated that the measure was misleading and failed to describe the consequences to Nevada's overall tax structure if enacted by voters.
On March 14, 2012, District Judge James Wilson ruled that the initiative could proceed to collect signatures as written. Wilson, while dismissing arguments made by the Nevada Mining Association, stated: "The court concludes [the measure's language] is not clearly invalid." The case has been appealed to the Nevada Supreme Court.
- Documents in the appeal can be found here.
- Nevada Appeal, "Backer drops tax initiatives," accessed April 24, 2012
- Nevada News Bureau, "Nevada Group Files Initiative Petition To Allow Legislature, Governor To Raise Mining Taxes," January 31, 2012
- KTVN.com, "Nevada mining sues to block tax cap initiative," accessed February 23, 2012
- Wausau Daily Herald, "Judge gives OK to Nevada mining tax initiative," March 14, 2012
State of Nevada
Carson City (capital)
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Controller | State Treasurer | Superintendent of Public Instruction | Commissioner of Insurance | Director of Agriculture | Director of Conservation and Natural Resources | Director of Employment, Training and Rehabilitation | Chairman of Public Utilities Commission |