Cities in Nevada
Types of local government
Local government in Nevada consists of:
- 16 county governments
- 19 incorporated city governments.
There are also 138 special districts and 17 independent school districts.
In addition, there are many unincorporated towns. While unincorporated towns may have a local board, most services and governance are provided by the respective county.
Incorporated cities in Nevada may be classified as:
- Charter city: of which there are 12 (Boulder, Caliente, Carlin, Carson City, Elko, Henderson, Las Vegas, North Las Vegas, Reno, Sparks, Wells, and Yerington)
- General law city: of which there are 7 (Ely, Fallon, Fernley, Lovelock, Mesquite, West Wendover, and Winnemucca)
Initiative process availability
The local units of government in Nevada that make the initiative process available are:
- General law cities, all 7 of which have a state mandated initiative and referendum process for ordinances.
- Charter cities, all 12 of which have a state mandated initiative and referendum process for charter amendment. All 12 charter cities also defer to the state law requirements for initiative for ordinances as well.
- General law counties, all 16 of which have a state mandated initiative and referendum process for ordinances.
10 most populated cities
|List of Most Populated Cities in Nevada|
|City||Population||City Type||Next election|
|North Las Vegas||219,020||Charter||2015|
Full List of Cities
|A guide to local ballot initiatives|
As of the 2010 Census, there are 19 incorporated cities and towns in Nevada. Population figures below are based on the updated estimates as of July 1, 2011.
|List of Cities and Population in Nevada|
|North Las Vegas||219,020|
- Local Government Types and Numbers Research Spreadsheet
- The U.S. Census Bureau's 2012 study of local governments
- Legislative Counsel Bureau, City Charters of Nevada
- Ballotpedia: Types and #'s of local government by state
- US Census Bureau "City and Town Totals: Vintage 2011 (Population figures as of 2011 Census estimates)
- Reno Elections
- Carson City Elections
- Fernley Elections
- US Census "March 2011 Estimate of Nevada cities"