Nevada filing deadline report: 6 state executive positions up for election
Carson City, Nevada: Six state executive positions are up for election in 2014 in the state of Nevada. The primary election is scheduled for June 10, 2014. Nebraska is one of 21 states with a mixed primary system. A blanket primary system is used for the nonpartisan legislature and some other statewide races while congressional primary elections are closed.
Some politicians looking ahead say that this 2014 Nevada lieutenant gubernatorial race is one of the more important elections in the history of this position. In the past, only seven of the thirty-four former lieutenant governors have moved into the top position of governor, but depending on who wins this election, that person may have a bigger change at becoming the eighth. In 2016, Harry Reid, the Senate Majority Leader, will be running for re-election, and Brian Sandoval, who already has announced his run for re-election of Governor of Nevada in 2014, will more than likely be encouraged to challenge Reid in 2016 if he wins the gubernatorial election, which is looking favorable. Sandoval will be more likely to run for the new position if a fellow Republican holds the lieutenant governor's seat as that person will take over the governor's office as stated in Article 5, Section 18 of the Nevada Constitution addressing vacancies.
Both Democratic Secretary of State Ross Miller and Attorney General Catherine Cortez Masto are ineligible to seek re-election due to term limits. Miller is running to replace Masto as attorney general.
Down the ballot, Democratic incumbents Kim Wallin, current Nevada Controller, and Kate Marshall, current Nevada Treasurer, are also term limited from seeking re-election. Wallin is instead running for treasurer as Marshall seeks the post of secretary of state.
Defeated in the primary
Brian Krolicki - Incumbent
Defeated in primary
Catherine Cortez Masto - Incumbent
Ross Miller - Incumbent
- Nevada gubernatorial election, 2014
- Nevada Lieutenant Gubernatorial election, 2014
- Nevada attorney general election, 2014
- Nevada secretary of state election, 2014
- Nevada down ballot state executive elections, 2014
- National Conference of State Legislatures Website, "State Primary Election Types," accessed January 6, 2014
- Washington Post, The most important race you’ve never heard of, August 21, 2013
- Las Vegas Sun, "Sandoval kicks off re-election bid with State of the State, budget," January 16, 2013
- Nevada Secretary of State, 2014 Filed Candidates, accessed March 17, 2014
- David Lory VanderBeek for Governor 2014 Official campaign website, "Homepage," accessed September 26, 2013
- Las Vegas Sun, Democrat Gubernatorial Candidate Announcement, November 7, 2013
- News 4, Hutchison to run for Nevada lieutenant governor, July 8, 2013
- RGJ, Democrats' lieutenant governor candidate Flores is young and ambitious; Is her goal to become first Latina governor of Nevada? February 20, 2014
- Mohave Daily News, Lowden to Run for Office, August 5, 2013
- RGJ.com, "Ross Miller: A prince who would be king," January 10, 2013
- Review Journal, Barlow considering run for state controller, July 22, 2013
- Reno Gazette-Journal "Adam Paul Laxalt expected to announce he's running for attorney general; His first news conference may prove uncomfortable," January 17, 2014
- Nevada Secretary of State, 2014 Filed Candidates, accessed March 18, 2014
- Official Campaign Website 2014, "Homepage," accessed February 27, 2013
- Review Journal, Barlow Considering Run for State Controller, July 22, 2013
- Dan Schwartz for Treasurer 2014 Official campaign website, "Homepage," accessed September 26, 2013