New Hampshire House of Representatives District Hillsborough 35
|New Hampshire House of Representatives District Hillsborough 35|
|Current incumbent||Mary Nelson|
|Next election||November 4, 2014|
About the office
Article 14 of Part 2 of the New Hampshire Constitution states, "Every member of the house of representatives shall be chosen by ballot; and, for two years, at least, next preceding his election shall have been an inhabitant of this state; shall be, at the time of his election, an inhabitant of the town, ward, place, or district he may be chosen to represent and shall cease to represent such town, ward, place, or district immediately on his ceasing to be qualified as aforesaid."
- See also: Comparison of state legislative salaries
As of 2013, members of the New Hampshire General Court are paid $200/two-year term. There is no per diem.
If there is a vacancy in the house, a special election must be held to fill the vacant seat. It's up to the Governor to call for an election and to set an election date as soon as possible. There are no deadlines set by the state constitution on special elections.
Elections for the office of New Hampshire House of Representatives will consist of a primary election on September 9, 2014, and a general election on November 4, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was June 13, 2014. Incumbent Daniel Hansberry, incumbent Latha Mangipudi and Donald T. Jean are unopposed in the Democratic primary, while Ronald G. Brophy, II and Ed Stebbins are unopposed in the Republican primary.
Latha Mangipudi (D) won election in a special election for New Hampshire House of Representatives Hillsborough District 35. The seat was vacant following Rep. Roland LaPlante (D)'s resignation due to his health. Although Mangipudi was initially defeated by Carl Andrade by three votes in the September 17 Democratic primary, a recount revealed that she defeated Andrade by forty-five votes. Mangipudi defeated Peter Silva (R) in the special election, which took place on November 5.
|New Hampshire House of Representatives, Hillsborough District 35, Special Election, 2013|
|New Hampshire House of Representatives, Hillsborough District 35 Democratic Primary, 2013|
Elections for the office of New Hampshire House of Representatives consisted of a primary election on September 11, 2012, and a general election on November 6, 2012. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was June 15, 2012. Roland LaPlante (D), Mary Nelson (D) and Daniel Hansberry (D) defeated Bill Joransen (R), incumbent Michael Reed (R) and incumbent Peter Silva (R) in the general election. All three Democratic candidates advanced past the September 11 Democratic primary. Three candidates, including incumbents Michael Reed and Peter Silva, advanced past the September 11 Republican primary.
Since 2012, candidates for New Hampshire House of Representatives District Hillsborough 35 have raised a total of $0. Candidates who raised money in contributions earned $0 on average. All figures come from Follow the Money.
|Campaign contributions, New Hampshire House of Representatives District Hillsborough 35|
- New Hampshire General Court
- New Hampshire State Senate
- New Hampshire House of Representatives
- New Hampshire state legislative districts
- U.S. Census Bureau, "Population Distribution and Change: 2000 to 2010," accessed January 6, 2014
- www.census.gov/, "Population in 2000 of the American states," accessed January 6, 2014
- NCSL.org, "2012 State Legislator Compensation and Per Diem Table," accessed March 18, 2013
- State of New Hampshire, "State Constitution-House of Representatives," accessed December 18, 2013(Referenced Sections, Sections 12 and 16)
- State of New Hampshire, "State Constitution-Senate," accessed December 18, 2013(Referenced Sections, Section 34)
- New Hampshire Secretary of State, "2014 Filing Period," accessed July 1, 2014
- sos.nh.gov, "Special Election - Hillsborough District 35," accessed August 6, 2013
- nashua.patch.com, "Unofficial Results for Ward 8: Andrade by Three Votes," September 17, 2013
- nashuatelegraph.com, "Surprise turnaround in Nashua special election," September 25, 2013
- nashuatelegraph.com, " Mangipudi wins special rep. race; five incumbents lose; Ward 3 alderman race to be recounted," November 5, 2013
- sos.nh.gov, "Official special election results," accessed November 19, 2013
- New Hampshire Secretary of State, "2012 General Election Results," accessed December 6, 2013
- New Hampshire Secretary of State, "2012 Candidate List," accessed December 6, 2013
- New Hampshire Secretary of State, "Official Primary Results," accessed December 6, 2013