New Hampshire House of Representatives District Hillsborough 43
|New Hampshire House of Representatives District Hillsborough 43|
|Current incumbent||Kathleen Souza|
|Christopher J. Herbert|
|Next election||November 8, 2016|
About the office
Article 14 of Part 2 of the New Hampshire Constitution states, "Every member of the house of representatives shall be chosen by ballot; and, for two years, at least, next preceding his election shall have been an inhabitant of this state; shall be, at the time of his election, an inhabitant of the town, ward, place, or district he may be chosen to represent and shall cease to represent such town, ward, place, or district immediately on his ceasing to be qualified as aforesaid."
- See also: Comparison of state legislative salaries
As of 2013, members of the New Hampshire General Court are paid $200/two-year term. There is no per diem.
If there is a vacancy in the house, a special election must be held to fill the vacant seat. It's up to the Governor to call for an election and to set an election date as soon as possible. There are no deadlines set by the state constitution on special elections.
Elections for the office of New Hampshire House of Representatives took place in 2014. A primary election took place on September 9, 2014. The general election was held on November 4, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was June 13, 2014. Five candidates faced off in the Democratic primary, while three candidates were unopposed in the Republican primary.
The general election was contested by three Democrats and three Republicans. The Democrats were Benjamin C. Baroody, Christopher J. Herbert, and incumbent Tim O'Flaherty. The Republicans participants were Timothy Prescott, Richard Olson, and incumbent Kathleen Souza. A mandatory recount took place on Friday, November 14, 2014 due to the closeness of the votes for the general election. Following the recount, Souza, Baroody, and Herbert were declared victors over O'Flaherty, Olson, and Prescott.
|New Hampshire House of Representatives District Hillsborough 43, General Election, 2014|
|Republican||Kathleen Souza Incumbent||18.5%||3,987|
|Democratic||Benjamin C. Baroody||17.5%||3,759|
|Democratic||Christopher J. Herbert||17%||3,664|
|Democratic||Tim O'Flaherty Incumbent||16.9%||3,638|
Elections for the office of New Hampshire House of Representatives consisted of a primary election on September 11, 2012, and a general election on November 6, 2012. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was June 15, 2012. Incumbent Kathleen Souza (R), Eric Palangas (D) and Jeremy Dobson (D) defeated Ernesto A. Pinder (D) and Roy Shoults (R) in the general election. All candidates were unopposed in the September 11 primary elections.
Since 2012, candidates for New Hampshire House of Representatives District Hillsborough 43 have raised a total of $0. Candidates who raised money in contributions earned $0 on average. All figures come from Follow the Money.
|Campaign contributions, New Hampshire House of Representatives District Hillsborough 43|
|* Campaign finance data for 2012 is incomplete for this district.|
- New Hampshire General Court
- New Hampshire State Senate
- New Hampshire House of Representatives
- New Hampshire state legislative districts
- U.S. Census Bureau, "Population Distribution and Change: 2000 to 2010," accessed January 6, 2014
- www.census.gov/, "Population in 2000 of the American states," accessed January 6, 2014
- NCSL.org, "2012 State Legislator Compensation and Per Diem Table," accessed March 18, 2013
- State of New Hampshire, "State Constitution-House of Representatives," accessed December 18, 2013(Referenced Sections, Sections 12 and 16)
- State of New Hampshire, "State Constitution-Senate," accessed December 18, 2013(Referenced Sections, Section 34)
- New Hampshire Secretary of State, "2014 Filing Period," accessed July 1, 2014
- New Hampshire Secretary of State, "RECOUNTS - General Election – November 4, 2014," accessed November 7, 2014
- New Hampshire Secretary of State, "State Representative - 2014 General Election," accessed November 16, 2014
- New Hampshire Secretary of State, "2012 General Election Results," accessed December 6, 2013
- New Hampshire Secretary of State, "2012 Candidate List," accessed December 6, 2013
- New Hampshire Secretary of State, "Official Primary Results," accessed December 6, 2013