New Hampshire government sector lobbying
This practice is controversial because public funds are spent to lobby for an agenda not subject to direct approval by voters, and outcomes may be contrary taxpayers benefit.
- Main article: Taxpayer-funded lobbying disclosure
The Professional Firefighters of New Hampshire asked the Local Government Center of New Hampshire to disclose its schedule of salaries, and for seven years the organization responded that its status as a private nonprofit organization made that information not subject to public interest disclosure. The state supreme court, however, ruled against the LGC, concluding that while the LGC is not a government agency, the LDC is "conducting the public’s business" and therefore should be subject to the Right-to-Know law provisions.
Watrous disclosure bill
State Representative Rick Watrous introduced a bill into the New Hampshire House of Representatives that would compel the state’s nonprofits to comply with public sector right-to-know standards. The bill would have classified nonprofits as public agencies if they exceeded $100,000 in annual revenue and got half of their funding from state or local government.
Nonprofits in New Hampshire were united in opposition to the Watrous bill. The state’s nonprofit association declared that the bill would have been too much of a burden on nonprofits. One major charity called the bill a "slap" against nonprofits. Nonprofit sector spokespersons declared that nonprofits are already transparent, making the bill unnecessary, and that the disclosure requirements, including financial disclosure, would make people "less willing to serve on nonprofit boards of directors if they knew they could come under increased public scrutiny."
Taxpayer-funded lobbying associations
- New Hampshire Association of Chiefs of Police
- New Hampshire Association of Fire Chiefs
- New Hampshire Police Association
- New Hampshire Sheriff's Association
- New Hampshire Troopers Association
- New Hampshire Association of School Principals
- New Hampshire School Administrators Association
- New Hampshire School Boards Association
- New Hampshire Association of Regional Planning Commissions
- New Hampshire Association of Conservation Commissions