New Haven, Connecticut
|Transparency grading process|
See also: Evaluation of Connecticut city websites
Last rated on October 25, 2012.
- Budgets are posted.
- Meeting schedule, agendas, and minutes are available.
- Elected Officials
- Elected officials are listed with contact information.
- Administrative Officials
- Officials are listed with contact information on department pages.
- Building Permits and Zoning
- Audits are posted.
- Bids and contract information is provided.
- Local Taxes
- Tax information is provided and taxes can be paid online.
- No information regarding government sector lobbying.
- Public Records
- No information on how to request public records.
Open Records Controversy
In 2008 New Haven established what it called the "Elm City Resident ID card program". This program is intended to distribute identification cards to people otherwise unable to obtain a state ID or driver's license, such as illegal aliens. In addition to serving as state-recognized ID, the cards are able to be used as debit cards from local ATM's.
The Community Watchdog Project protested this program by filing a public records request for the names of recipients of the cards. Citing threats to the safety of New Haven officials and illegal aliens, the Connecticut Freedom of Information Commission issued a ruling that the names on the cards were not subject to open records law, and denied the request. The Community Watchdog Project has said they intend to take their case to Superior Court, and in the first week of September they filed an appeal against the CT FOIC.
- New Haven on Wikipedia
- City of New Haven, CT, Budgets, Accessed: October 25, 2012
- City of New Haven, CT, Meetings, Accessed: October 25, 2012
- City of New Haven, CT, Aldermen, Accessed: October 25, 2012
- City of New Haven, CT, Building Permits, Accessed: October 25, 2012
- City of New Haven, CT, Planning, Accessed: October 25, 2012
- City of New Haven, CT, Audits, Accessed: October 25, 2012
- City of New Haven, CT, Purchasing, Accessed: October 25, 2012
- City of New Haven, CT, Taxes, Accessed: October 25, 2012
- Cardholders’ Names Will Remain Private New Haven Independent, July 9, 2008
- With few precedents, outcome of FOIC case uncertain, Yale Daily News, September 8, 2008