New Haven Unified Schools parcel tax, Measure B (May 2011)
If Measure B had been approved, it would have levied a $180 annual parcel tax for four years.
A 2/3rds supermajority vote was required for approval.
Measure B represents the first time that voters in the New Haven Unified School District were asked to vote on a parcel tax request.
On November 1, 2011, the board of the New Haven Unified School District voted to place a similar parcel tax request on a special election ballot in May 2012.
- Official May 18 recount numbers from Alameda County elections office
In the immediate aftermath of the election, supporters of Measure B said they believed that some ballots have not yet been counted, and requested an official recount. Richard Valle, chair of the Measure B group, said that the county registrar's office picked up ballots from the Union City post office at 6:00 p.m. on election day rather than at 8:00 p.m. Any ballots that voters dropped off at the Union City post office after 6:00 p.m. and before 8:00 p.m. had therefore not yet been counted, he said.
However, the manual recount, finished on May 18, made it clear that Measure B failed. Only one new "yes" vote was added to the "yes" column as the result of the recount, leaving Measure B still 81 votes short of the number required to win.
Text of measure
The question on the ballot:
|Measure B:To protect local schools from state budget cuts and provide stable local funding that cannot be taken by the state – to preserve quality instructional time for students, maintain educational and after-school activities, and minimize increases in class sizes and reductions to the school year – shall the New Haven Unified School District levy a tax, $180 per parcel for four years, with exemptions for seniors and disabled, citizen oversight, no money for administrators’ salaries and all funds staying local?|
- San Francisco Chronicle, "Dave Pine voted San Mateo supe; school taxes pass", May 4, 2011
- Effective Governance Teams, "May 3 School Parcel Tax Results", May 3, 2011
- Union City Patch, "School Board Approves Parcel Tax for May Special Election", November 2, 2011
- Contra Costa Times, "New Haven tax supporters cry foul as measure is defeated", May 5, 2011
- Oakland Tribune, "Recount confirms New Haven tax measure defeat", May 19, 2011