New Jersey Comptroller
|New Jersey Comptroller|
|Office website:||Official Link|
|2013 FY Budget:||$9,851,000|
|Length of term:||6 years|
|Authority:||New Jersey State Statutes, Title 52, Section 15C-2|
|Selection Method:||Appointed by Governor|
|Assumed office:||December 2013|
|Other New Jersey Executive Offices|
|Governor • Lieutenant Governor • Secretary of State • Attorney General • Treasurer • Comptroller• Commissioner of Education • Agriculture Secretary • Insurance Commissioner • Commissioner of Environmental Protection • Labor Commissioner • Public Utilities Board|
The comptroller is responsible for auditing government finances, examining the efficiency of government programs, scrutinizing government contracts, and investigating misconduct, waste and abuse in government.
The previous officeholder was Matthew Boxer, New Jersey's first independent state comptroller.
The Office of the State Comptroller is established in Title 52, Section 15C-2 of the New Jersey State Statutes:
There is established an Office of the State Comptroller. The office shall be established in the Executive Branch of the State government...
Title 52, Section 15C-3 of the New Jersey State Statutes outline the following qualifications for Comptroller: "The State Comptroller shall be a person qualified by education, training, and prior work experience to direct the work of the office and to perform the duties and functions and fulfill the responsibilities of the position."
Title 52, Section 15C-3e of the New Jersey State Statutes addresses vacancies: "A vacancy in the position of State Comptroller due to a cause other than the expiration of the term shall be filled for the unexpired term only in the same manner as the original appointment."
The duties of the comptroller's office include the following:
- Auditing government finances
- Examining efficiency of government programs
- Scrutinizing government contracts
- Investigating and uncovering misconduct, waste and abuse at all levels of New Jersey Government and within New Jersey's Medicaid program.
The comptroller's office is comprised of the following divisions:
- Audit Division
- Investigations Division
- Medicaid Fraud Division
- Procurement Division
The budget for the Office of the State Comptroller in Fiscal Year 2013 was $9,851,000.
In 2013, the comptroller's salary remained at $141,000.
Note: Ballotpedia's state executive officials project researches state official websites for chronological lists of historical officeholders. That information for the New Jersey Comptroller has not yet been added because the information was unavailable on the relevant state official websites, or we are currently in the process of formatting the list for this office. If you have any additional information about this office for inclusion on this section and/or page, please email us.
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term New Jersey + Comptroller
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
State of New Jersey
Office of the State Comptroller
P.O. Box 024
Trenton, NJ 08625
- New Jersey State Comptroller, "About the State Comptroller's Office," accessed October 16, 2011
- New Jersey State Comptroller, "Marc Larkins," accessed February 21, 2014
- New Jersey Permanent Statutes Database, "52:15C-3 Appointment, qualifications of State Comptroller; term; compensation," accessed March 23, 2013
- State of New Jersey Office of the State Comptroller, About the State Comptroller's Office
- State of New Jersey Office of the State Comptroller, Divisions
- New Jersey Department of the Treasury, "FY 2012 - 2013 Appropriations Handbook," accessed April 22, 2013
- Council of State Governments, Table 4.11 Selected State Administrative Officials: Annual Salaries, accessed January 31, 2014
- The Council of State Governments,"The Book of States 2010 Table 4.11," accessed October 16, 2011