New Jersey General Assembly District 11
|New Jersey General Assembly District 11|
|Current incumbent||Mary Pat Angelini|
|Race||75.9% White, 14.3% Black, 0.28% American Indian or Alaskan Native, 2.74% Asian, 0.05% Native Hawaiian or Pacific Islander, 4.15% Some other race alone, 2.54% Two or More Races|
|Ethnicity||88.0% Not Hispanic or Latino (of any race), 12.0% Hispanic or Latino (of any race)|
|Voting age||78.6% age 18 and over|
|Next election||November 5, 2013|
As of the 2010 census, a total of 205,526 civilians reside within New Jersey's eleventh general assembly district. New Jersey General Assembly members represents an average of 219,797 residents, as of the 2010 Census. After the 2000 Census, each member represented approximately 210,359 residents.
About the office
Members of the New Jersey General Assembly serve two-year terms and are not subject to term limits. New Jersey legislators assume office at noon of the second Tuesday in January following the election.
In order to be a candidate to run for the New Jersey General Assembly, a candidate must:
- Be a citizen of the United States
- Reside for no less than two years in the district the candidate plans to represent.
- Be 21 years of age or older.
- Obtain 100 signatures via petition and submit the signatures to the New Jersey Secretary of State.
- Disclose any criminal convictions.
- See also: Comparison of state legislative salaries
As of 2013, members of the New Jersey Legislature are paid $49,000/year. There is no per diem.
There are two ways to fill an vacancy in the house. For any vacancy that happens in session, a special election must be conducted within 51 days of the vacancy. All other vacancies must be filled by the county leadership of the political party that holds the seat.
Elections for the office of New Jersey General Assembly consisted of a primary election on June 4, 2013, and a general election on November 5, 2013. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was April 1, 2013. Incumbent Mary Pat Angelini (R) and incumbent Caroline Casagrande (R) defeated Edward Zipprich (D) and Kevin McMillan (D) in the general election. Angelini and Casagrande were bracketed together, and ran unopposed in the Republican primary. Zipprich and McMillan were bracketed together, and ran unopposed in the Democratic primary.
Elections for the office of New Jersey General Assembly consisted of a primary election on June 7, 2011, and a general election on November 8, 2011. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was April 11, 2011. Incumbents Mary Pat Angelini (R) and Caroline Casagrande (R) defeated Kathleen Horgan (D), Vin Gopal (D) and Daniel Jacobson (I) in the general election. Angelini and Casagrande were bracketed in the Republican primary and ran unopposed. Gopal and Marilyn Schlossbach were brackted in the Democratic primary and ran unopposed. Schlossbach withdrew from the race and was replaced by Kathleen Horgan.
Since 2001, candidates for New Jersey General Assembly District 11 have raised a total of $4,273,704. Candidates who raised money in contributions earned $133,553 on average. All figures come from Follow the Money.
|Campaign contributions, New Jersey General Assembly District 11|
- New Jersey State Legislature
- New Jersey State Senate
- New Jersey General Assembly
- New Jersey state legislative districts
- census.gov, "New Jersey 2010 Census Statistics," accessed October 4, 2013
- U.S. Census Bureau, "Population Distribution and Change: 2000 to 2010," accessed January 6, 2014
- www.census.gov/, "Population in 2000 of the American states," accessed January 6, 2014
- New Jersey Secretary of State, "Partisan Office Candidate Requirements," accessed December 18, 2013
- NCSL.org, "2012 State Legislator Compensation and Per Diem Table," accessed March 18, 2013
- New Jersey Legislature, "New Jersey Constitution," accessed December 18, 2013(Referenced Section Article IV, Section 4, (1))
- New Jersey Department of Elections, "Official Primary Election Results," accessed July 26, 2013
- New Jersey Department of State, "Official general election candidates," September 9, 2013
- Associated Press, "New Jersey - Summary Vote Results," November 6, 2013
- New Jersey Department of State, "2013 Official General Election results," accessed December 6, 2013
- New Jersey Department of State, “2011 Official General Assembly Primary Candidate List,” accessed December 5, 2013
- New Jersey Department of State, “2011 Official General election results,” accessed December 5, 2013
- New Jersey Department of State, “2011 Official Primary election results,” accessed December 5, 2013
State of New Jersey
|State executive officer||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | Comptroller | Commissioner of Education | Commissioner of Insurance | Secretary of Agriculture | Commissioner of Environmental Protection | Commissioner of Labor and Workforce Development | President of Public Utilities |