New Jersey Secretary of Agriculture
|New Jersey Secretary of Agriculture|
|Office website:||Official Link|
|2013 FY Budget:||$19,776,000|
|Authority:||New Jersey State Statutes, Title 4, Section 1|
|Selection Method:||Appointed by the New Jersey Board of Agriculture|
|Assumed office:||February 10, 2009|
|Other New Jersey Executive Offices|
|Governor • Lieutenant Governor • Secretary of State • Attorney General • Treasurer • Comptroller• Commissioner of Education • Agriculture Secretary • Insurance Commissioner • Commissioner of Environmental Protection • Labor Commissioner • Public Utilities Board|
The Department of Agriculture is responsible for supporting production agriculture as well as managing school food programs, distributing surplus federal food, conserving soil and water resources, protecting farmland, and expanding export markets.
The Department of Agriculture and the office of Secretary are established by Title 4, Section 1 of the New Jersey State Statutes:
The Department of Agriculture, hereinafter in this chapter referred to as the "department," created and established by the act entitled "An act to establish a department of agriculture, and to prescribe its powers and duties," passed March twenty-ninth, one thousand nine hundred and sixteen (L.1916, c. 268, p. 561), together with its amendments and supplements, is continued and is hereby constituted a principal department in the executive branch of the State Government...
Note: Ballotpedia's state executive officials project researches the constitutional or statutory text that establishes the requirements necessary to qualify for a state executive office. That information for the New Jersey Secretary of Agriculture has not yet been added. After extensive research we were unable to identify any relevant information on state official websites. If you have any additional information about this office for inclusion on this section and/or page, please email us.
The Secretary of Agriculture is nominated by the New Jersey Board of Agriculture and approved by the Governor.
Note: Ballotpedia's state executive officials project researches the constitutional or statutory text that details the process of filling vacancies for a state executive office. That information for the New Jersey Secretary of Agriculture has not yet been added. After extensive research we were unable to identify any relevant information on state official websites. If you have any additional information about this office for inclusion on this section and/or page, please email us.
The New Jersey Department of agriculture's major function is to promote, protect and serve New Jersey's agriculture and agribusiness industries. In addition, it manages the programs that do the following:
- feed schoolchildren,
- distribute surplus federal foods to soup kitchens and pantries that serve our needy citizens,
- conserve precious soil and water resources,
- protect farmland from development and preserve it for future agricultural use,
- expand export markets for fresh and processed agricultural products, and promote our commercial fishing industry, and,
- administer the complete program of agriculture, food and natural resource education,which includes the State FFA Association
The department is made up of the following five division:
- Division of Agriculture and Natural Resources
- Division of Animal Health
- Division of Food and Nutrition
- Division of Marketing and Development
- Division of Plant Industry
The budget for the Department of Agriculture in Fiscal Year 2013 was $19,776,000.
In 2013, the secretary's salary remained at $141,000.
Note: Ballotpedia's state executive officials project researches state official websites for chronological lists of historical officeholders. That information for the New Jersey Secretary of Agriculture has not yet been added because the information was unavailable on the relevant state official websites, or we are currently in the process of formatting the list for this office. If you have any additional information about this office for inclusion on this section and/or page, please email us.
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term New Jersey + Secretary + of + Agriculture
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
New Jersey Department of Agriculture
Post Office Box 330
Trenton, NJ 08625
- Governor: Chris Christie (R)
- Lieutenant Governor: Kimberly "Kim" Guadagno (R)
- Attorney General: John Hoffman (R)
- Secretary of Agriculture: Doug Fisher
- Treasurer of State: Andrew Sidamon-Eristoff
- New Jersey Department of Agriculture, "About," accessed October 16, 2011
- New Jersey Department of Agriculture, "Secretary Fisher," accessed July 5, 2012
- State of New Jersey Department of Agriculture, About NJDA
- State of New Jersey Department of Agriculture, Divisions
- New Jersey Department of the Treasury, "FY 2012 - 2013 Appropriations Handbook," accessed April 22, 2013
- Council of State Governments, Table 4.11 Selected State Administrative Officials: Annual Salaries, accessed January 31, 2014
- The Council of State Governments,"The Book of States 2010 Table 4.11," accessed June 22, 2011