New Jersey State Senate District 13
|New Jersey State Senate District 13|
|Current incumbent||Joseph Kyrillos|
|Race||83.6% White, 4.3% Black, 0.15% American Indian or Alaskan Native, 7.83% Asian, 0.02% Native Hawaiian or Pacific Islander, 2.11% Some other race alone, 1.97% Two or More Races|
|Ethnicity||91.3% Not Hispanic or Latino (of any race), 8.7% Hispanic or Latino (of any race)|
|Voting age||76.5% age 18 and over|
|Next election||November 7, 2017|
As of the 2010 census, a total of 219,626 civilians reside within New Jersey's thirteenth state senate district. New Jersey state senators represent an average of 219,797 residents, as of the 2010 Census. After the 2000 Census, each member represented 210,359 residents.
About the office
Members of the New Jersey State Senate serve four-year terms and are not subject to term limits. Known as the "2-4-4" cycle, Senators serve four-year terms, except in the first term of a new decade, which only lasts for two years. New Jersey legislators assume office at noon of the second Tuesday in January following the election.
Senators must be 30 years of age or older, have lived in the state for a minimum of four years, and have lived in the district they represent.
- See also: Comparison of state legislative salaries
As of 2013, members of the New Jersey Legislature are paid $49,000/year. There is no per diem.
There are two ways to fill an vacancy in the senate. If the vacancy happens in legislative session, a special election must be called within 51 days of the vacancy. All other vacancies must be filled by the county leadership of the political party that holds the seat.
- See also: New Jersey State Senate elections, 2013
Elections for the office of New Jersey State Senate consisted of a primary election on June 4, 2013, and a general election on November 5, 2013. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was April 1, 2013. Incumbent Joseph Kyrillos (R) defeated Joseph Marques (D) and Mac Dara Lyden (I) in the general election. Kyrillos defeated Leigh-Ann Bellew in the Republican primary. Marques was unopposed in the June 4 Democratic primary.
|New Jersey State Senate, District 13 General Election, 2013|
|Republican||Joseph Kyrillos Incumbent||68.1%||40,762|
|Independent||Mac Dara Lyden||1.3%||774|
|New Jersey State Senate District 12 Republican Primary, 2013|
|Joseph Kyrillos Incumbent||78.8%||5,866|
- See also: New Jersey State Senate elections, 2011
Elections for the office of New Jersey State Senate consisted of a primary election on June 7, 2011, and a general election on November 8, 2011. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was April 11, 2011. Incumbent Joseph Kyrillos (R) defeated Christopher Cullen (D), Stephen Boracchia (I), Mac Dara Lyden (I) and Karen Anne Zaletel (I) in the general election. All candidates were unopposed in the June 7 primary elections.
Since 2001, candidates for New Jersey State Senate District 13 have raised a total of $3,051,929. Candidates who raised money in contributions earned $234,764 on average. All figures come from Follow the Money.
|Campaign contributions, New Jersey State Senate District 13|
- New Jersey State Legislature
- New Jersey State Senate
- New Jersey General Assembly
- New Jersey state legislative districts
- For more information on the parameters the U.S. Census Bureau use, please see our Race and Ethnicity on the United States Census page.
- census.gov, "New Jersey 2010 Census Statistics," accessed October 3, 2013
- U.S. Census Bureau, "Population Distribution and Change: 2000 to 2010," accessed January 6, 2014
- www.census.gov/, "Population in 2000 of the American states," accessed January 6, 2014
- NCSL.org, "2012 State Legislator Compensation and Per Diem Table," accessed March 18, 2013
- New Jersey Legislature, "New Jersey Constitution," accessed December 18, 2013(Referenced Section: Article IV, Section 4, (1))
- New Jersey Department of State, "Official Primary Election Results," accessed July 26, 2013
- New Jersey Department of State, "Unofficial general election candidates," accessed August 5, 2013 (dead link)
- New Jersey Department of State, "2013 Official General Election results," accessed December 5, 2013
- New Jersey Department of State, “2011 Official General Election Results,” accessed December 5, 2013
- New Jersey Department of State, “2011 Official Primary Election Results,” accessed December 5, 2013
- New Jersey Department of State, “2011 Official State Senate Primary Candidate List,” accessed December 5, 2013